What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this combination possable?

My Drosera capensis and my Dionaea "Clumping" are both flowering at about the same time. What would happen if I rubbed both of the flowers together? What's the end result?

You would likely get some sort of fertilization, but the seed would be defective and could not grow. This is not a matter of crossing 2 different species, but rather two different genera, and the genes would be incompatable.

Hybrids between 2 different genera (known as intergeneric hybrids) in the same family are possible, and are actually quite common in the Orchid family. However, this has never (as far as I know) yet been achieved between 2 different CP genera. Sundews (Drosera) and VFTs (Dionaea) are both within the Sundew Family (Droseraceae), so they are fairly closely related and an intergeneric hybrid (let's call it x Dionera for reference!) could in theory just be possible - however it is very unlikely to happen, and even if viable seed were produced and germinated, the seedlings would likely not live very long. However, it would be an interesting experiment, and there have been rumours in the CP community that some growers have succeeded (albeit temporarily) in creating such a hybrid - but these are probably just rumours / urban legends! Go ahead and try anyway! It's an interesting experiment, and if a hybrid were ever produced and documented, it would help determine that Drosera and Dionaea really are closely related (some CPers, e.g. Don Schnell, dispute this). Just don't expect anything exciting to happen though (one in a million chance maybe!).

(Supposedly the Sundew that is closest related to the VFT is  Drosera regia, so that might be a good hybrid to try sometime!).

Unless, of course, you have the Little Shop of Horrors scenario.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, A butterwort and a Flytrap hybrid!  
biggrin.gif
 HAHA.  The best part and only non-overlycorny part, was Steve Martin's Motorcycle Dentist and Pain song.  That had me cracking up!  
biggrin.gif

About the cross genera or Family Hybridization. I only wish the urban legends could be true! Then we could create a possible larger flytrap or Drosera plant. I wish there were drosera Capensis or Regia the size of trees. -- Not very safe -- But it would be VERY interesting to feed.

"Back it up...back it up....there! Release the Cow!"

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Odysseus @ April 14 2004,10:04)]"Back it up...back it up....there!  Release the Cow!"  
DEATH TO THE COWS!

Imagine what would happen to this poor little guy under your senario.  Heck, he won't even go near my grow area as it is.  I have a D. binata dichotoma twice his size.
smile.gif

Scaredy.sized.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ April 15 2004,9:23)]Imagine what would happen to this poor little guy under your senario.  Heck, he won't even go near my grow area as it is.  I have a D. binata dichotoma twice his size.  
smile.gif
LOL! mmm...meat...

Well, I'm going to take the pollen (on a tooth pick) of my D. capensis and place it on the pollen on the flower of my Dionaea and see what happens...but just in case they don't bloom at the same time, is there any way to preserve pollen (sorry, my spelling sux)?

You can put pollen in a packet made from aluminum foil and store in the fridge for like a month I think. Your experiment likely wont work but hey why not try?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 15 2004,9:27)]Your experiment likely wont work but hey why not try?
I know, but I have strange successes with plants for some reason (I don't even have to try and they do amazing things that most people can't get them to do). So I'm going for it. Wish me luck.

Back