Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Open ==> closed terrarium as vacation strategy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hi everyone - about a week ago I got one of the small moderate humidity terrarium kits from **********s.com, and so far the three fly-traps and two pitcher plants are thriving. I'm thinking ahead to July, when I am likely to be overseas for anything up to a month, and am wondering if I can simply give my terrarium a cover with a couple of breathing holes as a way to avoid needing to ask someone to come in and water the plants while I'm away.

Anyone got any advice on this? I know that covered terrariums are recommended for high-humidity plants, and VFTs and North American pitcher plants are moderate-humidity. I'm just interested in this as a temporary solution to get the plants through the month without croaking.

I'm in Cambridge, Mass., by the way, where the summer tends to be hot and humid. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably don't even need to cover the terrarium at all, so long as someone will be available to water it. If no one is going to be there to water it for a month, though, then it would be a good idea to cover it so it doesn't dry out.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if u looked at the direction and followed the part about putting gravel or something on the bottom, then just fill the tank untill the water line is a little above the gravel so the substrate on top stays wet and u dont have to cover it.
    but i would still cover it anyway
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips folks. There are people around who I could ask to water it while I'm gone, but it would be easier not to have to.

I was so keen to get started when I got the terrarium kit that I didn't actually get gravel to put on the bottom, so there goes that idea I guess.

So consenus is that it's ok to cover for a month and leave without watering? Thanks.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the gravel is essential for a draining method if there is no holes at the bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plastic wrap over the top and my VFT was very happy when i got back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]You probably don't even need to cover the terrarium at all
    i agree. you could probably just have someone water it while you are away like Schloaty said and grow it outdoors.