What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for a newbie

Hi everyone,

I have been reading all the posts and I feel a little overwhelmed. I recently got a Venus Fly Trap, and I did some research and therefore know the absolute basics. It's in a small terrarium and there's humidity on the glass. Last week I fed the plant two crickets. The substrate is half perlite and half spaghum moss. I am an amateur gardener and love anything to do with plants, so I think I have a good background knowledge, but I want to be more knowledgible on the subject of my carnivorous plant. Does anyone know of a good book or website for starters? Any important facts I should know about the fly trap?

Thanks for any and all help!!

Anne

The Best book for CP's (short for Carnivorous Plant) is "The Savage Garden" By Peter D' Amato.
It is the CP Bible that, i think any serious CP Enthusiast should have
as for anything else u need to know, feel free to post stuff on the forums, and friendly people would be glad to answer with much knowledge
Best Wishes
Hellz
tounge.gif

There are three main variables. Soil, water, and light. Are you using sphagnum moss or sphagnum PEAT moss? The latter is more common to use. Next, vfts (and most cps) love lots of light. In fact, putting it outside in full sun is the best way to grow vfts. Finally, make sure you use water that is very low in dissolved solids. This means NO TAP WATER most places, and instead use rain water, distilled water, or water filtered through a reverse osmosis membrane.

If you want to grow your vft indoors, just make sure you give it tons of light, and in winter put it into a cold dormancy.

Capslock

If you decide to place your plant outdoors place it in full shade for a period of 4-7 days for them to adapt to the harsher conditions, then put them in a place that gets filtered morning sun again for 4-7 days and then finally put them out in the sun.:) This period,although a hassle, will let your plant "harden off" so that it wont get shocked and die back or get "leaf scorch".\

Welcome to the forums and happy growing!
smile.gif

Hi jackscout. Welcome to the forums! This is a highly educational and highly fun place. The quickest and easiest source of infromation is right here, at the top of the Venus Fly Trap forum, under Goldtrap's care sheet. Feel free to ask questions. We ALL have opinions to express - on everything!
smile.gif

Back