What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first vfts

Ok, I'm new to cp (and to gardening in general, for that matter.)
Anyway, I bought 3 vfts on the net last fall (typical, red dragon, dente.) When I got them I followed the directions for the dormancy period blah, blah, blah...The problem is this: the directions all refer to a bulb for each vft. After carefully searching the mass of white "roots?" I found no bulbs. I followed the directions anyway. Now I'm ready to plant them (apperently a little late, but the instructions didn't really specify how long to leave them in the fridge-"a few months".) I clipped off the dead growth of traps. Do I just plant the "roots" the same as I would a bulb? They are still white and in my (unexperienced) opinion, they look healthy. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi Thenoob,
Your right, there is no bulb on VFTs
laugh.gif
!  It is a rhizome.  Plant it up to where the green on the leaves starts. If there isn't enough leaf left to see any green on it then cover it so the growth end of the rhizome is about ½" or so under the soil surface.

When they are ready for dormancy again, they only need refridgerated for about 3 months.  If you live in an area close to where they grow naturally, you can grow them outside all year long.  A 'fridge dormancy is used by those of us where the winters don't get cold enough or get too cold (that be my reason
tounge.gif
).  During the summer you can grow them outside unless it gets above 95°F (some would say that's not too hot others disagree) in which case put them in the shade.  Make sure that you use pure Canadian shagnum peat.  Any fertilizer will burn the roots.  Water with pure water only (rain, distilled, or RO).  I think that covers most of the basics.  If you have more questions let us know.

smile.gif

BCK

What is the day and night time temp that is required for vfts to go into natural dormacy?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] During the summer you can grow them outside unless it gets above 95°F
not true my friend!
laugh.gif
i have a friend in australia who leaves her vft "royal red" out in 40oC heat & it's fine and i mean celceus not farrenheight like all u americans use celceus is alot hotter by the way for all of u who don't know 40oC = 101F i think
the noob you don't have to put em in the fridge my friend just shortens the photo period and they are really healthy plants to!!!
smile.gif

nep29,

Yup I'm from sydney and I grow the vfts in full sun during summer. for a couple of weeks, temps get over 40 degees C and they do just fine. I also grow the sarras the same way.

I didn't do dormancy at all last year. Temps went in the 40s outside, and the decreased photoperiod made all my temperates decide to go dormant! NO REPOTTING THIS YEAR! WAHOO!
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Our temps often go above 100F (realy humid though) and I keep my vfts out in the open on "the cliff" with the wild opuntia cacti!
smile.gif

Think North Carolina. Summer temps are usually in the 90's and will hit 100 during "Bermuda high" heat waves. The humidity is also relatively high - lovely for the VFT's and Sarrs - miserable for humans!

Back