What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

• Thread starter Warlock
  • Start date
Some of my traps are starting to get a reddish tint inside, but how can I make it really deep red?

Where did you say you were in PA? Was in it just north of Philly? Do you have your plants on a window sill or outside? The more light you have the more red the plants become. Direct sunlight is the best light. Also, part of it is the genotype of the plant. If it has the genetic capacity to do so, direct sunlight will do it. If you have a "common" or "typical" it won't be nearly as red.

paint it
wink.gif

jk, jk
like what jim said
also, some VFT can turn a nice shade of purple if they have enough light
Hellz

Philli you say? Hmm, back when I was growin them in Cleveland Ohio, I had mine on a window still (this was way back 5-8 years ago when I was a wee little not quisi famous actor boy), and it got decent light and was still green. So I would say, find a spot where it's going to get TONS of direct sun. Maybe even keep it outside during the day.

Yes, Get planty of direst sunlight. Providing sufficient light, even typicals can bring on a show! I think about 8-10 hours of sun is good. For me here in Sou Cali, i require a shade cloth with my intense sun and dry climate!

I reccemend the following clones to have deep reed color in the trap interiors:
Blood Red Traps
Dingley Giant
Big Mouth(Nice intense red purple colour)
G14 Dirk Ventham's Giant(One of favorites-Produces Deep magenta traps with consistency-from England)

I live just north of Philly, so right now it's getting really nice outside. I've been putting my vft outside after I get home fom school from about 2:30 to 6:00. Is this enough time for it to turn red?

You can leave them outside 24/7. A few hours a day is helpful, but they can take temps and rain and wind, within reason. As long as you don't have critters, like mice, to nibble on them, the outdoors is where they need to be for not only color but health. I'm in Wyomissing, suburb of Reading. What town are you in?

I'm in Willow Grove. One time I left my vft out for a few hours, and something ate one of my new traps! I was so pissed off. I have a bunch more coming. Tonight, it's supposed to go down to about 40 degrees. Is that too chilly?

Not at all! They can take light frosts. They can even survive temps inthe mid-20's, briefly. My only concern, and I speak from recent experience, are the critters. I had mine up high, sitting on top of a tarp, covering some 55 gallon drums. Nothing happened. On a Friday I decided to move them closer to the ground and on Monday my 2 flower stalk common was chewed to the ground. My trio of red VFT's were almost untouched. I moved them back to the original place and they remain untouched. Dumb luck? I don't know. Don't know all the variables - just a few - and the results.

Yeah, I'm most worried about the bugs at night, because they're ruthless. I just took it back inside and filled up its tray with water. Vft's are funny, because I'm treating it like an animal, and not a plant.
laugh.gif

I had mine insid from the time I bought it, last June, until I took it out in March. The traps grew from 1/2" ---->1", just sitting on an east facing window sill. I guess one has to know what's outside of one's immediate environment.

myn are growing quickly on my window sill
They get light from sunrise till noon
i feed each trap atleast once and very month i feed all the traps on each of my VFT.
some of them blacken but then a week or 2 latr, 3-5 new traps grow rapidly and raplace the ones that blacken. they are about 1 inch long traps, except for my green dragons which are about 1 1/2 inches (they droop over sometimes after i feed them because all the traps are on long petioles)
Hellz

Back