What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i let my vft flower?

I just noticed the beginning of a flower stalk coming out of my vft. Since I don't think I could keep it alive if it flowers, how long should I wait to cut the stalk?

When the stalk is about 2 inches, hack it off cleanly!
smile.gif
I did some cutting today and I have about 6-7 stalks(which I did cuttings of
wink.gif
)

Why can't you cut it off when it's shorter. I usauly cut them when i see them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (uglypho @ May 01 2004,2:17)]When the stalk is about 2 inches, hack it off cleanly!
smile.gif
 I did some cutting today and I have about 6-7 stalks(which I did cuttings of
wink.gif
 )
Are you doing the FTG experiment?

i usually cut them as soon as i see them. they grow straight up. but traps are curled. soo cut the striaght ones when there small that way it doesn't waste any energy

I got a sawtooth from Carolina Carnivorous Gardens with a flower stalk about 6 inches high, I decided to see what would happen, I left it alone, and it started dying so i cut it off. It's been doing good so far. But the flower stalk is growing back

Personally, I let mine flower unless I just got them.  If you want to play it safe, cut the stalk.  But one day I'm going to grow a VFT from seed.

If I'm lucky I should have a bunch of seeds this year.

Can someone enlighten me about cutting tall VFT stalk?

I just cut mine today. It was about 3/4 inch tall. I cut it down to the base of my plant, but I think I saw a new baby stalk that's going to come up. Stupid stalks.

Back