Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vft soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used grow-coir before with flytraps, but I prefer to still mix in some peat. It's a great substrate in that it doesn't really compact so much, and never gets water logged. Though you'd definately have to watch the water level as it would dry out faster than peat.

Honestly, i've seen vft's grow better in straight peat or peaterlite than grow-coir or coirerlite.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about a sphagnum peat moss mix with some small wood chips? or industrial sand better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard anyone use wood chips before (Well thats me), but give it a try if you wil, just make sure there no minerals present in it (not sure how you could test that though). Use well washed river/lawn sand (And I do mean darn well washed - there mud and all sort of minerals in it), or sandblasting sand like pondboy said. Your best bet would still be 50:50 LFS:Perlite or Peat:Perlite/sand though...try it out, and good luck, whatever descision you make. Its all trial and error, these things...well someone's got to do it, I rather it not be me - I've only got 1 VFT! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12