What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slobbering fly-traps

• Thread starter Stevie D
  • Start date
Do your VFTs have any traps that dribble digestive fluid when they're feeding?

Do you find the idea of this as funny as I do, and if not, why not?
laugh.gif

hahaha lol
laugh.gif

Whadaya mean by 'dribble' (drool?)
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 16 2004,5:15)]hahaha lol
laugh.gif

Whadaya mean by 'dribble' (drool?)
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Yeah, like they're so hungry they can't help themselves but drool at the thought of that sweet, sweet prey.
wink.gif

"Mmmm... prey... *gargle*"

I've had some have digestive fluid visible around the "lips" while digesting a bug. My guess is its because the plant was stressed or otherwise thankfull...
biggrin.gif

One trap that was digesting a wood louse was definitely drooling. I put a piece of paper on the drool to dry it up. I wasn't sure if the juices could hurt the outside of a trap, so that's why I did that. It certainly is funny. The drool gives a vft a certain animalistic quality.
smile.gif

Yeah they do that especially if you feed them soft bodied insects.

If you weren't aware of it. After the trap closes around the bug, it starts secreting acidic juices that digest the bug and then later reassorbs the fluid along with the nutrients. When closing, it is possible that it was unable to make an air tight seal and the juices flowed out, and it can sometimes be seen around the rim of the closed trap. So the plant was not stressed at all.

I severly doubt the juice would harm the plant, much the same way your stomach doesn't digest itself.

Back