What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New with venus flytraps!

Hello, I am going to buy a venus Flaytrap sometime soon. I am geting the "Venus Flytrap - Common / Typical / Plants In A Pot: Two Plants In The Pot", "Cleary Fungicide", And a "Empty Round Terrariums Large & Small From $9.99 / Terrarium Size: 1.5 Gallon Small Terrarium". To start out with. Is there anything else that I have to have? Puse I don't have mush money so that dose not help lol. Thanks and have a good day.

If you look we have an entire subforum dedicated to venus flytraps and their care. If you're low on cash, all you need to do is figure out a way to collect some rain water so you will have a way to water your flytrap when it arrives, or you can pick up a gallon of distilled water at Wal-mart for less than a dollar.

Ok thanks seine its under one dollar I can do that. But I got an "Empty Round Terrarium” for it do I need to trance plant it or not. What I mean how long should I wait or do I have to wait? Thanks and have a good day.

Hi Benjaminp

Welcome to the forums!  
smile.gif

I am going to move this to the VFT Forum which is an area more specific for your question.  We have a forum for the different genus of plants.

It really doesn't take too much money to get started.  If you are putting soil into your terrariums (for the VFTs), you will need some peat moss and sand.  That is the usual soil mix for flytraps although you can use other mixes too...or even pure peat.  (Don't use potting soil or any type of fertilizer). You can find peat moss in small bags.  If you use sand, make sure its clean (silica sand is recommended).  Most people use half sand/half peat. It can be helpful to wash and rinse the sand and peat several times before planting. (Just swish it around in clean water, wring out, and repeat a few times...this helps wash out any impurities that might be in the mix.)

You will need PURE water...rain, distilled or reverse osmosis.  Many grocery stores sell R.O. water now for around 39 cents a gallon if you bring your own jug.

Then you just need a sunny location.  Make sure air can get into your terrariums.  Stagnant, warm, humid air can cause mold and fungus to grow.  I wouldn't use that fungicide you bought unless you KNOW you have a problem with fungus.  As long as your plants are healthy, they don't need dosing with fungicide.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Have fun!

Suzanne

Benjaminp,
Welcome to the forums.
I'd rather spend my money on more plants, so I collect rain water. I built a stand in my garage that holds 24 - 1 gallon milk jugs. When it rains, out to the spout I go.
tounge.gif

ok thanks the info helps allot. But there are some questions I would like to ask. I know I kind of sound stupid lol
smile.gif
. Could I use posting soil that you find at wal-mart? And do I need to buy any Super Thrive? http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/product/SUPERTHRIVE And what could I let it eat? I know no human food. And I know it should only eat bugs. I live in Texas but I nor for sure is there anything here that I use should not let it eat. I not going to leave it out long pirods of time. But I thought about bringing out side sometime. Will that harm it? Do I need to get http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/product/CRICKETS to feed it? Well thanks and have a nice day.
biggrin.gif

For your soil use Perlite, Peat Moss, and Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss. Any soil with fertilizer will kill the plant.
I only use Superthrive if I transplant during the growing season, or recieve a new plant through the mail.
If you leave your VFT outside it will catch it's own meals.

Ok thanks to everyone how have helped me. I am larning allot from this place. It is nice to larn about something before you buy it. I was looking to see what soils this store sells and I see some GrowCoir Coconut Fiber, and Our Own Soil Mix. Witch one will be best?

Back