What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siamese flytrap

I thought it was kind of cool. I have 2 traps growing out of the same stem.

I wanted to add a pic but I can't seem to figure out had to add a pic.
Sorry.

Nice. It would be really cool if you could figure out how to post a picture, because I've never seen this before.

Just so you know, "conjoined" is the politically correct term. Anyway, I've on occasion seen VFTs with 2 traps on a single leaf... Interesting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (madison @ May 19 2004,6:13)]I thought it was kind of cool. I have 2 traps growing out of the same stem.

I wanted to add a pic but I can't seem to figure out had to add a pic.
Sorry.
My Webpage

What ya need is a place to host your pics - and Trashcan has proudly provided it for us at the forums. Above is the link. If ya need help following through - just ask. We'd all be happy to help.

flytrap.gif

Here it is. Thanks for the info. Sorry if I offended. Here are the conjoined babies.

Kinda has that "Big Brother watching you" effect.

I have no idea. I woke up one morning and there they were.

Thought it was kind of neat.

They are doing really well. Both have openned up now.

That's the second I've seen, very rare and COOL!
biggrin.gif
One of the cp nuseries have the same thing, but only with the traps open...could do a lot of experiments with that...like feeding each of the traps together, or...hey, why don't you do a CUTTING of the trap? Although I suppose that's just a kind of mutation (or change of the parent gene 'instructions' to make leaves - only in THAT leaf), then I don't expect it to show up genetically in the phenotype of the VFT baby...
wink.gif

Sorry for all the sophisticated scientific talk...hehe, even I am not half sure what the heck I'm rambling on about, but it COULD make sense if you think about it...
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Does this feature only show up on one leaf? If so then that's just a temporary mutation in that leaf, not in the genes of the plant - keep the photos well! These don't come along very often...phew, when I saw the topic title I thought it was a new breed of VFT!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif

*Drooling* And I thought singaporean cpers don't grow soooo many different species...very nice website indeed, Ebeyonder!

Ps. is the D.intermidia plantlets still on offer? If so could you spare one or two...my last and only baby intermedia from Hong Yee 'died' due to my overloading it with red ants (stupid me, I didn't know that ants secrete citric acid when they caught...)
tounge.gif
Now its stunned and can't produce no more leaves, although two tiny (still-forming) leaves still look green, but it keeps getting indunated by algae and I keep having to dig it up out of a rotting hole of sphagnum moss and repot it again...I'm not sure it will work though, but I still have hope since I am sure its still alive...
wink.gif
(tried washing it to get rid of algae + acid too)
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 21 2004,4:02)]That's the second I've seen, very rare and COOL!
biggrin.gif
One of the cp nuseries have the same thing, but only with the traps open...could do a lot of experiments with that...like feeding each of the traps together, or...hey, why don't you do a CUTTING of the trap? Although I suppose that's just a kind of mutation (or change of the parent gene 'instructions' to make leaves - only in THAT leaf), then I don't expect it to show up genetically in the phenotype of the VFT baby...
wink.gif

Sorry for all the sophisticated scientific talk...hehe, even I am not half sure what the heck I'm rambling on about, but it COULD make sense if you think about it...
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif
I`m pretty sure that it`s just where two petioles have fused together,I highly doudt it`s genetic,although some plants may have a genetic tendency towards "fused petioles".

flytrap2.gif

Here they are open. Sorry for the poopy pic. I lose quality when doing it in GIF.

Cool! Thank-you for sharing:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fre8train @ May 20 2004,2:29)]what makes that happen?
retardation of the VFT

jk jk
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (madison @ May 21 2004,8:00)]
flytrap2.gif

Here they are open. Sorry for the poopy pic. I lose quality when doing it in GIF.
wow, nice! I see they're the same size as well, not with one HUGE and the other a migit, aws sometimes happens with 'siamese' twins (plants or babies)
wink.gif

Retarded VFTs? Dangerous to have in the house...its gonna try eat you next!
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

oops posted the same pic...must try to avoid that next time...

once u put a apix on the comm site how do u post it on a forum?

Back