What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is fungicide essential during dormancy?

I was just wondering if I needed to go buy some sort of fungicide when I put my vft through dormancy. Does anyone have any information or suggestions on what kind of fungicide to use?

yes, its needed.
In Dormancy, it is damp, and stagnant conditions that you put your plants in, very likely to form fungus or other things if the right prevention isnt applied.

I would highly recommend the fungicide sold right here on this site. It is truly high grade and for a very good price. I just bought some Banrot for this year's dormancy. Never hurts to prepare early:)

I used neem oil last winter with good results. you can get it in a spray bottle at Lowe's.

I haven't ever used fungicide when my plants were dormant.  Never needed it.  If during the growing season, you have problems with fungus, then to be safe I would say to use fungicide during dormancy.  I check my plants frequently during dormancy for fungus and to make sure they aren't too wet from condensation in the ziplock or too dry.  If, on one of these inspections, I were to find fungus, then I would use fungicide after cleaning up the plant.  For me, the idea of using fungicide when it is not needed is wasteful and also incourages the growth of fungus that is more resistant to fungicide treatment.

BCK

Depends on if you are putting them in the fridge or outside. Outside, I would just watch the plant.

I never use fungicide because I don't see a need to introduce extra chemicals to the plant. So far, all my plants have survive dormancy w/o and signs of fungus. It's just a matter of whether you get the moisture and temperature conditions right.
For dormancy, I place my VFTs in transparent ziplock bags, after which I will store them in a wine cooler with a glass door. I'll inspect the plants once a week to ensure there is no fungus. (by looking through the door). Also, it will help if you have a top layer of LSM.

I am against the use of anything that is not needed as well, and especially so regarding fungicide. Regular use of fungicide is little more than a breeding program to eliminate the weaker fungus strains in favor of tough fungicide resistant strains. Just as MD's say not to use antibiotics needlessly, I caution asainst the indiscriminate use of fungicides. Observe your plants, and apply the cure only if there is a disease.

I avoid mold in the winter in my Sarracenia and VFTplants by keeping them more aquatic. My Sarracenia pot surfaces were underwater from October to April, with only one loss, and this is because the pot was allowed to dry too much, and was not kept underwater. This technique was an experiment over last winter, but I will be repeating the method from now on.

so, tamlin, you are saying that you had your sarracenia pots sumberged all winter?  sounds interesting...  tell us more!

where were the pots located?  garage?  basement?  in a fridge?
did you change the water over the winter?

tech...

I plan on leaving my vfts in my garage next to a window that gets indirect light all day. The temperature usually hovers around 40 or 45 in the winter. Does fungicide from this site come with instructions? I might buy some just in case.

I know what you mean about using fungicide sparingly, unfortunately my dorm room was infested with botrytis and I'm still dealing with the after-effects. Stupid, nasty AC unit...
sad.gif

Back