What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traps reaching for the sun

Okay, after putting my plants in the sun a while back and having them all get dried out and die, they've all regrown traps (twice as freakign big some of them) with leaves that are all long and errect versus the bushy way they were before...

Well after they got fried that first time, I moved them all under a patio which has a roof. They get direct sunlight for a few hours in the morning but once the sun passes the edge of the roof its all indirect.

Some of the new growth seems to be just bending over backwards towards the sunlight as they are right now.

Soo. I'm here looking for advice on whether I should try moving them into more sunlight (they've been out there for two months), or leave them there?

I live in Central Texas so it gets rather hot and sunny, and the first time I put them out there they fried... I figured id let them get used to the climate here for a while under the patio and move them out again when I figured they were ready...

What do you all think?

Well, I live in eastern Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia. Right now it's about 91 degrees outside, and my vft is still outside nearly all day. I'm just about to the point where I can leave it out all day and night. So far, it hasn't shown any signs of burning, even though it gets nearly all direct light from about 8 am to about 7 pm. That's just my experience. From what you've said, it seems like you will be safe letting your plant get some more sun. Do you have any pics of your leaves? Mine are still spring heart-shaped leaves. Maybe they are stretching for light. All you can really do is expose it to more light. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

move it foot by foot closer which means only a few munits more of direct light each day untill it is where you want it.

Back