What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft producing tiny leaves

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
The VFT that was producing 1" leaves last Fall is now sending up leaves and traps that I project to be ~1/4". In between than and now was a successful dormancy, a gradual warmup and photoperiod, and placed outside, on top of a tarp covering 55 gallon steel drums. The traps following dormancy were ~3/4" and it started sending up 2 flower stalks. Then I decide it would weather a literal storm in a different location. Unfortunately, while I was gone over the weekend some birds or squirrels ate the stalks and all but one leaf. For a month afterward there was no new growth, and the one remaining leaf stayed green. A couple weeks ago new leaves emerged from 2 or 3 locations. There are now 9 of them and they are small. they haven't opened yet, but they look like they'll be ~1/4". Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this before?

Sounds like it is a bit of shock from the rough treatment. Not much you can do but sit back and give them TLC to help them recover.

smile.gif

BCK

At last count there were 11 new leaves, just in the last 2 weeks. I've never seen that many emerge in so short of time.

If I had to guess an additional one or two growth points formed and since multiple leaves are growing at once there isn't enough resources in a given time period for large leaves. In other words you may have a few big traps, or a lot of small traps. I be by the end of this year it'll be back to normal size.

Yes, The Learning Channel WILL help
mad.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
but Tender Loving Care works better
smile_n_32.gif

Any change in lighting conditions/soil mixes, jim?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ May 27 2004,12:27)]Yes, The Learning Channel WILL help
mad.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
but Tender Loving Care works better
smile_n_32.gif

Any change in lighting conditions/soil mixes, jim?
I didn't change anything except putting itback atop the drums it had been perched, before I moved it to the location it was ravaged. Location, location, location!

Back