Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Convincing a vft it is live food

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Darwin @ May 28 2004,11:29)]Yeah they live, but I want them asleep so I can pick them up without them flying away. The freezer doesn't kill them if you don't put them in too long. I don't think my fridge is very cold because flies aren't even docile when they come out.
    They do go asleep in the refridge, if they don't, then your fridge aint cold enough.
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seattle has been rainy the best few days (big surprise huh?) which usually drives the spiders inside. Sure enough, this morning a wolf spider skittered out from under my bed. I clapped a jar over it thinking "A-ha! I have a plant friend who'd like to talk to you about hanging out inside..." but as I got a look at it I thought better of it. This was a meaty spider -- probably half the size of my biggest trap. So I threw it outside with a stern warning.

Question: Would the refrigerator trick put a spider to sleep? I'd kept an ant in there for over an hour and it didn't work. The thing was as hyper as ever. I keep the 'fridge cold enough for a bit of ice on the milk (I like the crunch) so the temperature should be fine...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have been wanting to ask you all
    something
    why not just swat the flys and put them in the traps like i do
    sorry eddy [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (now_what_do_i_need @ May 28 2004,2:58)]i have been wanting to ask you all
    something
    why not just swat the flys and put them in the traps like i do
    sorry eddy [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    Because live food is better then dead food.

The traps usually know if the bug is dead because it's not fighting or moving (triggering the hairs more and more) and won't digest as much as they should.

It's a really nifty product of evolution. If something lands in the trap and triggers it and isn't moving, then it must not be a bug, so why waste the energy and enzimes on something it won't get nutrients from.

Plants...their smarter then we think...
    LACPS Member
    \"Don&#39;t make me sic my targ on you&#33;\" -Jonathan Passow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jon @ May 28 2004,6:47)]They do go asleep in the refridge, if they don't, then your fridge aint cold enough.
    Then I guess my fridge ain't cold enough. (which it isn't because we turned it down after my dad complained about there being ice in the milk).

Quote[/b] (sindarin @ May 28 2004,7:18)]Seattle has been rainy the best few days
    I wish it would rain here in England lol... (I shouldn't have to say that... I blame global warming). I'm sick of buying reverse-osmosis treated water.

Quote[/b] (sindarin @ May 28 2004,7:18)]
    Question: Would the refrigerator trick put a spider to sleep?
    I doubt it. I've only had luck with freezing flies, other insects seem to be too hardy for the fridge, but die in the freezer.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT's are dependent upon live food struggling, so that it stimulates them to secrete the enzymes to derive its nutrients. Conversely, wind, water, debris, etc..., often cause a trap to close, but since it has nothing beneficial to offer the plant - it reopens in a day. A non-struggling piece of whatever is inefficient for them. That is why they evolved a way of distinguishing real food from random annoyances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 29 2004,7:15)]Conversely, wind, water, debris, etc..., often cause a trap to close,
    I've noticed that water usually doesn't case them to close (oddly enought).
    LACPS Member
    \"Don&#39;t make me sic my targ on you&#33;\" -Jonathan Passow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hay
    i was thinking the same thing
    eddy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast