What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black trap

• Thread starter Bubba
  • Start date
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I fed one of my traps a fairly large crickrt and i saw an outline of it in its mouth. but then i woke up this mornin an the trap was halfway black. wut should i do? did i overfeed it?

Its probably just dying so another new trap can come up, you didn't do anything wrong

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bubba @ May 28 2004,7:40)]
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I fed  one of my traps a fairly large crickrt and i saw an outline of it in its mouth.  but then i woke up this mornin an the trap was halfway black.  wut should i do?  did i overfeed it?
Welcome to the forums dude. At last you've learnt to live - in the dangerous world of cps...!
smilie4.gif

How big was the criket and how big was the trap? I heard some1 say that you shouldn't feed anything over a third the trap size, unless your VFT is healthy. Well mine seem to do fine...*hint hint*
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
Hmmm, mine traps turning black but maybe that's becuz the STUPID insect bit a hole in my biggest trap!!! Grrr
mad.gif
Never seen an insect fight back b4, always assumed they're small helpless creatures with a life to give away to my CPs mwhahahha. 'please don't quote the bible, I was just kidding...Oh well...this is WAR! Oh, uhm, sorry, I'm getting worked up here, I like getting worked up - adrenaline rush...the criket was actually bitingat the teeth of the trap!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Got its head out but I poked it back in with a dropper, hehe poke poke prod...is there any apparent sign that your VFT's trap is trying hard to 'swallow' the prey, like did it fully close round it, is it drooling disgestive juices etc? The you may have overfed it...man I'm never gonna feed my VFT any insects with such HUGE fangs no more. I mean for an insect...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason
smile.gif

I had a Venus flytrap a long time ago(I have another one now)
I fed it a fly which was the same size as the trap.The trap died.
I dont think you should feed it insects that are too big.The head often runs out of digestive juices if the pray is too big. As a result,it turns black.

I tried can o crickets. worked good, the plants loved it, but the can molded after a week
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_t_32.gif

I feed mine ants, they practically infested my yard, so I put a VFT Every so feet, and the ants go marching one by one to their death

yes I agree, if I fed an ant that was big, my plant blackend
smile_h_32.gif
Just happend to me too yesterday, but unfortunately you cant prevent some insecsts from going to you VFT

how do u get those pix under ur names? and how do u post pix?
i fed mines a fly, and the trap closed too quick and the flies head is out, is it gonna digest it? oh yea, i over fed it too:( i was overexcited

AzNs

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

The pictures under the names are called avatars. You can select from a few offered by the forums or upload and use your own. You select an avatar in your control panel. The avatar can't be larger than 64 x 64 pixels.

To post a photo, you need to have it hosted on a server. Once its uploaded to a server, you use the following structure:

{img}http://(host location)/directory/filename.jpg{/img}

Only you use square brackets instead of the face brackets.

Example: {img}http://members.aol.com/Plantakiss/photoname.jpg{/img}

If you post photos, its nice if they are resized to a manageable size so they aren't loooong downloads or too large to be viewed without scrolling around.

Hope that helps.

Suzanne

Also, a trap can only eat 3 or 4 meals and then it turns black. Maybe your trap has had it's limit on meals. He's full
biggrin.gif

yea, mine is about do die, look
Blackening%20Trap.jpg

then the teeth start wilting and it dies, i hav 3 sprouts on the way , so dont trip
blues.gif

-ur homie huy

Back