What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant fly traps

what was that old movie with the huge plant that eats ppl , takes place in new york i think, with the guy from, honey i shrunk the kids! that movie was great

I have a friend who is treating VFTs in culture with colchasine. So far it is too early to tell but maybe one of them will be a supersize mutant

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 28 2004,4:17)]There was a master breeder back in the 70's working on creating some super sized VFT's using gamma radiation and gene splicing.  He got a reportedly HUGE all green form that he was feeding rats to.  He was keeping it all hush hush.  He dropped out of contact about 1980 and no one has heard from him since.
confused.gif
SURE HE DID
confused.gif

What, you don't believe ME? Hmmmmph. Where do you think that movie producer got his idea from, hmmmmmm?

hey there are 2 or 3 inch traps like the giant form (which I am assuming is the one Tamlin grows with the 2.5 inch traps) .... can't remember which giant one though there are more than one.

Tamlin, can any VFT get that big if grown long enough?

Nice work by the way on those traps....that's impressive.
biggrin.gif

AzN That would be Little shop of horrors.

Quote Tamlin:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have traps pushing 2.5 inches easy. Like us, the older they get, the better they are.
We have heard about 2.5 inch traps a lot around these groups, but AFAIK no one yet has posted a photo of such a plant with a ruler for scale.

Exactly, Bob
laugh.gif

Not saying i dont believe you tamlin... but we need a pic!
smile.gif

You may or may no know, but in London, U.K, there is not a bug eating,
but a MAN eating flytrap. Its HUGE.
Oh yeah, who is Seymour Krelborne?

Here's my biggest. Let's see yours!
vft_from_pft_4.sized.jpg

Capslock

I even have the original black and white movie on VHS.
smile.gif

My VFT went through a growth spurt, I think, and produced a huge trap. That's seems strange after it just switched from outdoor to indoor growing. Anyone had the same experience?
Noooo, I think its about to dry up, I'll try get a measurement later this afternoon. Capslock, what species is that huge trap from. Wow, four centimetres?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wouldn't the prey stick to the sides of the pitcher before it sploshed into the juices in the bottom?

Hmmm, yes, now that I think of it, it would! An insect's nightmare, and no, the bird would probably go retarded after sloshing round awhile...
smile_n_32.gif

I love this topic. Experimenting and spilcing DNA is SO cool, might want to try it next time when I have the knowledge and equipment. Anyone here who does DNA splicing, I would be interested in your work.
smile_m_32.gif

That's seems strange after it just switched from outdoor to indoor growing.[/QUOTE] it gets bigger wen u move it indoors? cuz i jus tried to move it indoors yes2day, is it better outdoor or indoor near windowsil?

Jason, that's from a Green Dragon purchased right here at PFT.

Capslock

Ummmm, I STILL dont know who Seymour Krelborne is.
Is he a real person?

Starman,

You are 13 years 1 month old today. Go to the video store and rent "Little Shop of Horrors". All of your questions will be answered.

Back