What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New types of flytrap

it'll probably take decades...LOL
mainly, people cross breed flowers of superior plants to try to inherit the qualities into future plants. Depending on your spefications it can take a looooong time. To speed processes up tissue culture makes things faster.

Sometimes plants from tissue culture show new and in teresting mutations, or selective breeding can select for a special quality the plants have.

As to having it regognized, it is necessary to publish a description and photo mentioning the special (or "cultivar") quality with the photo also clearly showing this characteristic. The publication must be in printed form and have a wide circularion. Society Journals (Like the CPN or The Carnivorous Plant Journal) are often used, but any publication will serve. The description should include the plants origin, and the reproductive method used to maintain the character that makes the plant special, origin of the selected name, and contact information (which is optional).

After publication, one must notify the sole registrar, Dr. Jon Schlauer who is co-editor of the ICPN and also is the world authority on CP for the International Congress of Botanical Nomenclature. After Dr. Schlauer receives a copy of the publiction the plant is internationally registered with the ICBN.

I didn't want to tell anyone, but I'm working on a clone of VFT That grows in Florida, What I did was start with all Sphagnum, and then gradually toss in some FL Soil, until the pot was all FL Soil

umm, is it working?
if it is, i dont think u can reproduce it...
abilities gained by a parent in a life time will not be passed onto its offspring unless it is a genetic nature (and an animals/plants DNA cant change naturally throughout its lifetime by will either) so it would only be good for that one plant who can survive in soil, if it works that is

Back