What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digested bug

My venus flytrap has just eaten its first bug and I want to know how to get the bug out. I tried with my other VFT and the trap closed up so how do I get it out

Thanks
smile_m_32.gif

Junieman

take a sprayer and make it spray like a water gun, not mist, but a stream of water. then just shoot it out. it always works for me
biggrin.gif

Why do you want to get the bug out?

I have yet to see a carcass and I've had 4 traps open the last week. Does a woodlouse leave an exoskeleton, or is my flytrap just very hungry
smile_n_32.gif

Hello Junieman

Welcome to the forums.
biggrin.gif
Glad to have you aboard.

Bugs with hard shell bodies (like flies) that get caught don't all dissolve away.  The remaining shell is the exoskeleton often called a "husk".  Once the trap has finished feeding and opened up, either rain or a gentle spray with a mister will wash out the husk.  I have removed husks with a sprayer set on "stream" and GENTLY sprayed it out.  If you spray too hard, you'll trigger the hairs and close the trap again which you don't want to do.  If the husk is really stuck, I'll mist it and let it soak for a bit and then try the sprayer.  Or...rain washes them out.

Suzanne/PAK

Yup, PAK and HellzDungeon's methods are really good to use. Also, welcome to forums. It is nice to see another VA. PAK is also from VA! So, welcome and ask away.:)

Thank you all you all been soo kind with my questions

Its best not to remove the dead insect because the dead body will often attract a spider for desert!

speaking of which, I've noticed that spiders will come on their own to lick? the bit of dew at the very edges of the trap. A few are smart about it and never get caught, but 80% usually get trapped the first time or soon after.

Hi all

Spiders seem to be the food of fancy for the VFT's in our bog and in the mini greenhouse. The cool thing is is that the spides after they are cought, thier legs are sticking out of the closed trap and are still trying to escape but to avail Id sa out of the 15 open traps about 70% of them catch spiders.

Jim

This spider talk is interesting. Recently, I noticed one of my traps was closed, and I had not fed it. I wanted to wait until it opened to see what it caught, but it started to rot. I cut it off, and opened it, and there was a spider on the inside. I guess they really like the nectar stuff. How effectively do vfts catch bugs and spiders when a husk is left in the trap?

Eaten insect may attract some fungi, so I think that it should be removed as soon as possible.

I dont tottally agree with that, borg. On my pinguicula grandiflora, digested insects were on its leaves for over 2 MONTHS before they started to get fungi.

But it DID get it, didn't it? I wouldn't risk waiting until the fungi come. It may be after months or also tomorrow. And I had awful troubles with fungi, so I'm pretty careful. And traps look better when they're white-glove clean huh?
cool.gif

my traps get black after eaten flies or wood mites 90% of the time.
id never let my vft eat a spider!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif
smile_t_32.gif

hey guys my trap jus ate a fly and it jus opened up 2days ago, and the fly is really hard to get out, ive tried to get it out with spraying it but with a dye hair bottle, the one with a cone shaped spray, anyways its begining to hav black spots on the other side of the trap---

Blackening%20Trap.jpg

should i let it die? cuz like 3 more sprouts are on its way now, the teeths are wilting away, so yea, wat should i do
confused.gif

Hi AzNsUShi41,

Just let nature take its course. There's not much You can do anyway.

HTH

Leave the bugs in...that way you can keep score.  
laugh.gif

If you have good air circulation you should not get fungi.

You guys catch spiders, too? My vft's catch lots of daddy long-leggs. It's kinda funny to see a closed traps with wiggling leggs sticking out...
cool.gif

Back