What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting problem

The other day I noticed that a root is poking through a hole in the bottom of my pot. Unfortunately, it's just about peak growing season in my area, so I'm afraid to repot. Since I have my vft in a tray of water, the root is sitting in the water. Does anyone think that this will be harmful? Can I just wait until it comes out of dormancy to repot it?
smile_l_32.gif

I had the same problem about 2 months ago. I left the root peeking through the bottom, but then the root started to rot. After 3 roots peeked through the bottom(they started rotting asswell} I re-potted it. Now there are roots peeking through the bottom again!!!!!!! So I am in the same situation as you.

do this, try to dry the soil out a little, NOT COMPLETELY, then take it out of the pot, and put it in a bigger pot with some pre wet peat moss, or LFS on the bottom. then, just fill in the sides.
if it sound confusing im sorry, if i didnt know what i was talking bout and read this, id be very confused...
smile_n_32.gif

Best Wishes,
Hellz

whenever i need to repot one of my cp's, i just repot it. beginning, middle, or end of the growing season, whatever, i just replant it.

if you are just moving up into a larger pot, and are planning on reusing your old soil, you should be able to repot now with a minimum of harm to the plant. like HD said, just remove your plant (with the soil it's currently growing in), place that into the new pot, and fill in the sides. make sure that you don't repot the plant any deeper in the soil that it currently is.

peace,
tech...

Thanks Hellzdungeon and technoracer. I'll repot it over the weekend after I can buy some sphagnum moss.

hey tech.. ive heard that repotting when the CP's are still active gives shock therefore resulting in stunned growth?

yes, that is also possible. if you are moving up to the next sized pot, and not replacing the soil, you can minimize any shock to the plant. basically, you gently hold the plant between your fingers, turn the pot upside down, and tap the bottom of the pot a few times. take the plant and the soil and place it in the new pot. then, just fill in the sides with fresh soil, and you should be good to go.

make sense?

tech...

Back