Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some questions....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I have read that the tray method for watering is best for carnivorous plants. I have mine in a terrarium and am wondering if that's ok to use top watering and if that is as effective. I suppose I could cut holes in the bottom of my terrarium, but I kind of would rather not do that. I put about an inch and a half of perlite on the bottom of it and so far have only had to water it once......it's only been about four days since I put them in there.

Also, I used some SUPERthrive to reduce the shock of transplanting. Is it wise to use SUPERthrive every time I water? Or could too much cause stress on the plant?

I read that the growth point should be above the dirt and part of the bulb should be showing. Is it kind of touchy where that is at or doesn't it matter that much? I have always had mine a little deeper down, and it looks funny to me that it is that much above the soil.

Also (last question) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] It is starting to grow stalks for the flowers. I read that you should cut them off for the best growth for the plant. Is it best for you to cut it off so it's as short as possible?

Thanks!

- Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The terranium is tottaly unnessesry. Take it out of the terranium and put it on a tray system. Try not to water it from above. One of the most famous myths is that VFTs come from a place with high humidity(which they dont), so dont put it in a terranium.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have mine in a terrarium and they do fine,

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But its completely unnesecery. A typical VFT enviroment is an open grassland with a lake. VFts grow near the lake in an open area, so there is not much humidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine grows on a windowsill on a tray system. Its producing lots of traps. So I dont see why you need a terranium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might not be necessary but it seems like from all that I have heard and read that they do like somewhat higher humidity levels. I was just wondering if it made a big difference top watering instead of the tray method. Thanks for the comments.

- Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    higher humidity encourages better growth, but like all things, it should be taken in moderation. to high humidity will rot the plants, so keep that in mind, the only prob with VFT in terrarium, as well as many other plants, is
    1: they need dormancy,
    2: they love sun, and if in a terrarium, it wont bring out their best traits(unless u have strong lights like sodium halides or numerous flourescents, or grow them very closely to them), so u may never see your VFT at its all time best
    Thats my say on it,
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Higher humidity levels? Thats a myth. If the humidity is high, it will lead to weak, spindly growth. There is not much humidity where they grow in the wild.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast