What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside or outside?

I was just curious where most of you guys keep your plants. Mine are all inside right now. I have several of them in a terrarium, and others in a nice sunny bay-window.

I have read that sundews generally like to be outside better since it gets a little cooler at nights. But I like them on my windowsill to go look at throughout the day. Same with my VFTs........I have to check on them periodically to see how they are doing.
smile.gif

Depends on your temps and humidity I guess. My area can get a bit windy, so drosera do better inside my house than out. VFTs don't seem to care. My sarrs are outside, neps inside. Problem with my keeping drosera inside is that I don't get gemmae! I do have the nighttime drops, but with lights on and off all the time, they don't get exactly the right photoperiod they need.

I keep my VFTs, Nep. Miranda and cacti inside and my Sarrs outside in a bog garden.

I like my VFTs inside where I can view them and also feel that they are better protected from the world outside. I would be really upset to find the local rabbits munching on my VFTs!

I keep ALL my plants on a windowsill.(Including the Nepenthes)

Every time I leave my VFTs outside something bites the traps off.

To be sure, critters and the elements can and will do damage. I know from firsthand experience this spring (ravaged vft), but for the folks that experince four seasons, at least three of them would be beneficial to your plants, minus the occasional loss. All of my plants are outside (Reading, PA) and the worst thing that has happened, beyond the chewed up VFT (which is recovering nicely), has been Drosera seedlings being flooded and mixed a bit. the plants grow better, have more color, and are tougher. The benefits greatly outweigh the costs.

How hot can they take it? right now it is 90 degrees outside. In July, it will reach 110.

Could I put my VFT outside?

Lets see I keep my sarrs, flytraps, and highland neps outside. I'm also trying some utrics in the outdoor pond too. I had to move my flytraps on a table though, ***n ground squirrels... They like the traps i guess and they eat up all the veggies in the yard too... My plants seem to don't mind the occasional 100 degree weather and the 20% or lower humidity. I keep my ceph, lowland neps, sundews, butterworts and utrics indoor though.

My VFTs are outside during day, inside during night... I just don't have the heart to bring them in at night
smile_n_32.gif
Although, I figure I'll try it, and see if it makes any difference to them...

I left my VFT's and Sarrs outside last night on my deck.
I checked on them this morning and some critter bit some leaves off. Grrrr
mad.gif

I'm gonna bring them inside at night also.

i leave all plants that can grow outside outside, the rest goes into my 75 gal. terrarium.

i've noticed that plants that can grow outside and inside, grow better in my terrarium.

What kind of light do you have on your 75 gal. ?

And do you have some kind of cooling system?

I put all my plants that need alot of sunlight outside. This includes many Drosera's. All my Sarracenia's and Dionaea's live outside. I find that outdoors my plants get alot better coloration and are healthier.

I have all my vfts (except a seedling that is in my grow chamber) outside in mini-bogs. They do much better outside than in, in my opinion. The only problem I have had is sqirrels digging in the bog and munching on some things. I remedied this by building a "cage" out of hardware cloth.

i put mine on window sill ryte now, it can either get really cold or hot outside, the thing is there is no humidity outside, humidity in my room can hit over 80% at night and the temp remain around 70*f . im still confused about putting them outside - if thats a good idea, their doing good ryte now indoors, the first time i put my sarrs outside it fried and turned brown, i think i tried to experiment by putting it in a glass voss , instead it roasted it from the inside, anyways new sarrs are growing to replace the browning ones, and 9 vft jus shipped yes2day! and 2 s. leuco's
collection.jpg

When you grow a plant indoors or in a greenhouse.
You will need to adjust it slowly outside so it will not get sunburn.

I just took my two sarrs plants from my terrarium outside, and placed them under a table out of direct sunlight.

Tommorow, I will keep it under the table and bring it out later in the afternoon and place it in some afternoon sun.
I will slowly adjust it to direct sunlight and it will slowly adjust by not getting burnt.

yea but can i jus put it in the shade? and thats it? the other issue is humidty, itll get sun but not that? generally my windowsil provides them both- the sun shines directly at my window and the plants seem to love it
biggrin.gif

What is your humidity outside?

Also the glass blocks some sun rays.

You don't want to leave it in the shade. Most Sarrs like lotsa light.

my humidity at this time is like 40% and the wind will kill the sarrs and the temp can get really hi, but in my window sil in the afternoon can get to 100*f

100F in your windowsill? Wow, get a A/C.

What temps outside is High?

Here in NY we get Hot and Cold. Dry and Humid.

Back