Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inside or outside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just curious where most of you guys keep your plants. Mine are all inside right now. I have several of them in a terrarium, and others in a nice sunny bay-window.

I have read that sundews generally like to be outside better since it gets a little cooler at nights. But I like them on my windowsill to go look at throughout the day. Same with my VFTs........I have to check on them periodically to see how they are doing. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on your temps and humidity I guess. My area can get a bit windy, so drosera do better inside my house than out. VFTs don't seem to care. My sarrs are outside, neps inside. Problem with my keeping drosera inside is that I don't get gemmae! I do have the nighttime drops, but with lights on and off all the time, they don't get exactly the right photoperiod they need.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my VFTs, Nep. Miranda and cacti inside and my Sarrs outside in a bog garden.

I like my VFTs inside where I can view them and also feel that they are better protected from the world outside. I would be really upset to find the local rabbits munching on my VFTs!

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep ALL my plants on a windowsill.(Including the Nepenthes)
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I leave my VFTs outside something bites the traps off.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be sure, critters and the elements can and will do damage. I know from firsthand experience this spring (ravaged vft), but for the folks that experince four seasons, at least three of them would be beneficial to your plants, minus the occasional loss. All of my plants are outside (Reading, PA) and the worst thing that has happened, beyond the chewed up VFT (which is recovering nicely), has been Drosera seedlings being flooded and mixed a bit. the plants grow better, have more color, and are tougher. The benefits greatly outweigh the costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How hot can they take it? right now it is 90 degrees outside. In July, it will reach 110.

Could I put my VFT outside?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets see I keep my sarrs, flytraps, and highland neps outside. I'm also trying some utrics in the outdoor pond too. I had to move my flytraps on a table though, ***n ground squirrels... They like the traps i guess and they eat up all the veggies in the yard too... My plants seem to don't mind the occasional 100 degree weather and the 20% or lower humidity. I keep my ceph, lowland neps, sundews, butterworts and utrics indoor though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast