Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heating the soil......?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand 75-80 degrees is the optimal temperature.

I live in Vegas and my previous attempts to make it a bit more....ermmm..."local weather friendly" by heating the soil beyond 85 degrees ultimately ended in crippled or dead plants. So I say stick to what you've got.

But I'm still kind of a n00b so disregard what I said if I'm wrong. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from the "My VFT Caresheet" by goldtrap2690 at the top of this forum:

"CLIMATE : these are warm temperate plants , they need warm summers and chilly winters , tolerant of light frost ."

"TEMPERATURES : 70 to 95 degrees F , keep cooler in winter such as 40 - 55 degrees F , they can survive very short periods of 100 degrees ."

I may just end up having to plug all this in through an appliance timer and create a "Daytime High" and "Nighttime low". I have one that I'm not using, so its not a problem.

A temp scheme may actually prove more beneficial then just raising the temps 24hrs a day. Right now, they get about 14 1/2 hrs of light a day. So, the flexwatt set to 90f running from say 9am until 7pm and then off to allow cooling might actually work. 10 hours of heat---14 hours of cooling.

The containers/plants would heat up slowly over the 10 hrs and then cool slowly throughout the night. Just like in nature---things heat up during the day and then cool at night.

Fygee,

My questions would be:
    HOW did you try to heat the soil?
    WHAT control over the heat source did you have?
    HOW did you continuously measure the temps?
    Was it a Terrarium or "Kit" like they sell here? Or was it "Open air" so to speak?

Thanx!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heated by just putting it in a semi shaded area outside with the plastic cover still on during the latter half of a few summer days. I had a thermometer constantly measure the temps and it made sure it got no higher than 95 degrees. When it got too hot in a certain area, I just moved it somewhere else (I have a large yard with lots of trees) that was appropriate so it didn't get direct sun and burn to a total crisp.

I don't know, maybe it was a VFT that got exported from someone's factory in Canada or something and it didn't take to the heat to well. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Some random words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, at this point I have to assume that the thermometer was OUTSIDE the plastic cover, correct?

If so, it was a LOT hotter inside that plastic cover. Basically a greenhouse effect. That's most likely why the plant cooked.

What I'm talking about is an Open Air situation that is merely applying mild, controlled heat from the bottom. And these plants are already established in this environment and doing fine---I would just be adding mild heat. That's all.

Thanx!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12