What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kind of an odd question about fertilizer

Alrighty, not kind of odd, but really odd.

I read that certain VFTs and other carnivorous plants do quite well if you add a bit of 1/4 strength fertilizer once a month or every few months.

Now, here's the thing. I have a dwarf rabbit, and along with him being extraordinarly cute and fluffy, he's also produces excrement that makes Miracle Gro seem weak. We have a small garden next to our house where we grow stuff like tomatoes and pumpkins, and have had reasonably good results over the years. However, since he started using it as his little port-a-potty a few years ago, the plants we put there have become at least twice as productive as they once were. The pomagranate tree we have also started producing absolutely absurd amounts of fruit since he started doing his business there too. Before we only got about a basket full, but in the past few years we've gotten at least four. o_O

The question I'm asking is if it would be a good idea to stick a few of his droppings in the terrarium I have in order to give them a little boost, of if that would be a bad/stupid idea.

Hi,

Everything I have ever read or come across says Absolutely, Positively, Under NO Circumstances--fertilize VFTs. So, if you could provide a link to that info, I would appreciate reading it and judging the overall value of the info for myself.
There's plenty of bogus info out there on any subject.

As for the rabbit droppings? They are very natural, may biodegrade slowly enough and actually provide some benefits. Those are about the only thoughts I can offer on that. Try it out--start slow and go from there....

As a side note: I give my VFTs and Pitcher plants (Sarrs) Milk. It definitely has a positive effect on the pitchers, but not so sure on the VFTs.

If you do decide to try it--Please share the results with us.

HTH

The little pamphlet I got with my plant and terrarium from here says that you can use a 1/4 strength type of fertilizer (forgot the name of it) once a month and that some growers have had very positive results with it. Not to say that I plan on doing that as once my VFT settles in as I've got backyard bugs up the arse to feed it and keep it strong of course, just saying what the pamphlet told me. ;)

I'm not too sure about giving VFT's milk. Pitcher plants allow it to stay completely inside the leaf, while putting it in flytraps would definetely cause some of it to leak out. The last thing I need is the smell of rotting milk coming from my plant, and it would undoubtedly welcome all kinds of nasty things that feed off decaying mammal byproduct. But I'm new and somewhat inexperienced so I could be wrong on that.

Anyways, since I'm on a tight budget and I want to make sure I can keep the two plants I have alive and healthy before I do any kind of experimentation that carries even the smallest amount of risk, I think I'll stick to keeping the bunny poo-doo out unless someone can give me solid proof that this won't harm or kill them.

I can't give you solid proof--so, its definitely your decision at this point.

I would beware of the info that came with the plant---especially if you bought it from Lowe's, Walmart, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc. I would definitely try the rabbit droppings before any fertilizer. And there are all kinds of fertilizers out there---which one? Bet it didn't tell you that!

As far as the milk and VFTs go---I put the milk drops down in the center of the plant and then just water over it to get it down into the media for the roots to absorb. But like I said---I don't know if it helps much or not. Maybe I should do a "Group A" and "Group B" experiment! LOL I don't do it all the time. Just periodically when the mood strikes or when I'm giving it to my Pitchers.

HTH

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would beware of the info that came with the plant---especially if you bought it from Lowe's, Walmart, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc. I would definitely try the rabbit droppings before any fertilizer. And there are all kinds of fertilizers out there---which one? Bet it didn't tell you that!

Hehe, I've learned not to trust the info at Home Depot a long time ago. The ones I bought there all said a 20-20-20 at 1/4 strength. The one I bought here said something about a product called SuperThrive, once again at 1/4 strength.

superthrive is NOT fertilizer. it's just vitamins and growth hormones. dont use it like a fertilizer on a regular basis. most people use it when transplanting and they dip cuttings in it.

Hi JustLikeAPill,

Do u know if cuttings are dipped in 100% Superthrive, or is it diluted first?

I've used it for transplanting and new plants, but I've never used it on any cuttings. Any tips would be Great!

Thanx!

its diluted to a drop per cup or two, it doesn't have to be exact.

Do not fertilize your VFT. They need to grow in nutrient poor soil as they do in nature. The bugs they eat are their fertilizer. There are SOME CPs that may benefit from weak foliar fertilizing but if your VFTs are eating bugs, as they will on their own, you shouldn't have a need for anything more.

From experience. 100% superthrive will burn your plants or cuttings to a crisp. Bye-bye babies. I use 1/4 cap of thrive to 3 gallons of water.

Back