What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To water or over water

• Thread starter AzNsUShi41
  • Start date
im leaving sat afternoon
and im coming bak monday after noon,
should i water it normally or over water it for the weekend?
help me now
mad.gif
!!!i only hav less then 20hrs to get an answer!!

I would put about an inch or two of water in a tray and just leave the VFT be in a cool area in your house. Since it will only be for a few days sunlight won't be a major issue. If there is available indoor light, like a bright window then that is a plus.

i also hava pitcher,sundew,nepenthes how to water them? nepenthes needs drained water tho... so?
smile_h_32.gif

From my experience it is far more risky to have a plant dry out than it is to have it sit in too much water. I cannot speak for Nepenthes, other than to say all of my plants sit in a half inch of water most of the time.

I can say that Sarracenia, Dionaea, and Utricularia may be kept aquatic for weeks if need be, and possibly much longer.

I grew some 10 species or so of Drosera underwater for 4 day stretches without harm.

American Pinguicula like it wet, at least 3 species are nearly aquatic.

So, I say go with the wet.

I think it's better to overwater also. You can always dump off the extra water when you get back.

If it's only for a few days the nep should be fine. It's long term that water around the roots is a problem. A couple of days won't matter and like elarwhis said, you can drain the excess water out when you get back.

I water my neps only twice a week. So they go 2-3 days(sometimes more)
without water. They are perfectly fine waiting that long.

just got home, and fed my pitcher with a fly, how does the S.purpurea work? since ive heard it can hold water(distilled) the fly jus sits ontop of the water, explain pleas
smile_h_32.gif

S.purpurea does not "DO" anything like some sundews and VFTs. They don't move, trap, etc.

Basically, the plant releases digestive enzymes into the water inside its pitchers and then waits for a bug to fall in and drown. The digestive enzymes then go to work consuming the bug for the plants benefit.

If You want to see a good growth spurt--give one drop of milk to each of your pitchers---they LOVE it. That's what I feed mine. One drop each, once a month should work wonders.

HTH

milk...hmmm...I'll have to try that sometime. Always looking for new stuff to feed my plants.
biggrin.gif

There is an existing topic, I believe in General Discussions, that discusses supplementing milk and egg whites to Sarracenias. The topic was started more than a year ago, died, and was resurrected a couple months ago.

Back