What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea in a 10 gallon fishtank

I'm testing a 10 gallon fish tank right now, i have a mix of about 60/40 peat/silica sand. in a 10 gallon fish tank i made the soil layer approx 2 inches deep i also mixed in about 1 cup worth of sterile hard orchid quality char coal to Keep the soil fresh. i didn't want to go deeper than 2 inches as it  might create a compost heap effect if water sits and rots that deep peat. all i need is a top layer of long fiber sphag. And if i encounter any problems i may line the bottom with 1-2 inches of  silica and maybe a lil long fiber spag to prevent seepage of peat into the silica but for now I'm gonna go as is.i was also considering a small pc fan to be inside the tank on a timer for some circulation. Lighting is 2,  48" sunshine bulbs 2000k florescent. not sure how they will do for 100% in-door growing any one possibly suggest a proven bulb i could use?
-thx for reading

in my opinion, i dont like to keep VFT in a tank away from natural sunlight. they only rarely grow at thier best, because the sun is a hard thing to replicate. also, i dont think tha the tank needs a fan unless u have a cover on it, because it will have enough circulation, but if it does, i say y not, it sounds like a good idea, keeps the fungus rate down, also, respect dormancy, so makesure u change the light period when the time be's to keep their natural biological clocks in check if there under artificial light.
Best wishes,
Hellz

IME, a fan makes the foliage "harder" and more resiliant.

I have my CP's in a 10 Gallon tank.
I hung my Fluorex inside it.

I have a digital Humidity and temp gauge and it's mostly at 82.5F and 60% Humidty with some custom plexiglass covering. (Not all of the tank is covered)

At night, the temp drops when the light goes off and the humidity rises.

I'm thinking about putting a long bubblewall I have lying around in the back and flooding the tank with 2 inches of distilled water. And running bubbles to cool off and add humidity.

I have grown them in 10 gallon tanks in pots and the TYPE plants and dente color up wonderfully. That said, I have never seen a red dragon color up to it's potential. maybe it needs to be much closer to the lamp.

Joe

I have grown them in 10 gallon tanks in pots and the TYPE plants and dente color up wonderfully. That said, I have never seen a red dragon color up to it's potential. maybe it needs to be much closer to the lamp.

Joe

My VFT's are Green still.

I hoping that they will color up better soon. I have had this new lamp on them for like 2 days only.

Back