Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellowing vfts in my terrarium.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is probably getting too hot. Since its a candy jar type shape (like a bowl) it perhaps is not getting enough air circulation. Do you keep a lid on it? Rectangular tanks (unsealed) are very open to the air. The more enclosed the terrarium, the quicker heat builds up inside. You said it was doing better in a less sunny spot...possibly because the heat was less inside. You've moved it now, but if you had it out in the sun, stick your hand inside and see how the temps feel. You'd be surprised how fast glass-enclosed containers build up heat.

Good luck. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a candyjar like this one, at Amazon.com, it holds two gallons, and I don't use the lid. If I use the lid, I get mold on the sphagnum moss.

Amazon.com Item

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the lid off, it has very high sides, so its still may not be getting enough air circulation down at the bottom unless its near a window with a breeze or something to force the air down to the bottom of the jar. Or unless you have so much soil in it the plant is near to the top.

High sides like that can act as a wind break. This is why I opted not to grow VFTs in a enclosed container because it seemed there was always a problem. You have to be more careful and vigilant about conditions in a deep container like that. Although they do look nice in there! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

What does eggshell do for VFTs? That will add calcium to the soil.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12