What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellowing vfts in my terrarium.

I have a terrarium with VFTs and some kind of generic moss growing in it. The plants were doing very well when I was keeping them on my desk at work, lit with a flourescent plant lamp. I brought them outside and they are currently living on my porch, and both the VFTs and the moss are beginning to yellow. I'm not sure if it's the change in light, or if it's because of overheating, or what- The terrarium is a 2 gallon candy jar, and I don't use the lid, and the planting medium is a combination of peatmoss, and pearlite. I've had the plants in the terrarium since last fall, without a dormancy, and I've always had distilled water (and recently some rain) for watering the plant. I have noticed that the water level is slightly lower than it used to be, but it's still got standing water below the ground level (clear glass candyjar). Can anyone help me out? I've moved it to a less sunny location (a more shaded area of the porch).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wonko, I think it is telling that the moss is also turning yellow. Something is definitely wrong with your setup. If it were me, (although I'm a newbie to VFT's) I would be tempted to transplant them into new medium. As long as the plants have plenty of airflow and water, you shouldn't have problems with sunlight on them, unless maybe you are in a very hot, dry area. I'm thinking that since you don't have drainage on the pot, you are getting a slow accumulation of chemicals.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Scott

Sounds like you didn't bring them out slowly.

The plants are in shock and have sunburn most likely. I would keep it in the shade out of direct sunlight which the plants need to adjust to if they were grown indoors.

I've already moved them to a less sunny spot. I'll let you know how it goes.

I put them in a less sunny spot, and they have bigger traps than ever! They are doing great! I think I was just giving them too much sun/heat.
smilie4.gif

give it dormancy next time it comes around, its vital, not giving it a dormancy is not an option.

other than that, i dunno what to tell you, but if your moss is dieing, something is definately wrong.

Since I moved it to the less sunny spot, the moss is doing better too. I will certainly do the dormancy bit when the time comes.

I have witnessed the tops of live sphag moss blackening if given too much heat. Live sphag moss does need loads of light, but not too much light so as to give it sunburn.
smile.gif

I think it is probably getting too hot. Since its a candy jar type shape (like a bowl) it perhaps is not getting enough air circulation. Do you keep a lid on it? Rectangular tanks (unsealed) are very open to the air. The more enclosed the terrarium, the quicker heat builds up inside. You said it was doing better in a less sunny spot...possibly because the heat was less inside. You've moved it now, but if you had it out in the sun, stick your hand inside and see how the temps feel. You'd be surprised how fast glass-enclosed containers build up heat.

Good luck.
smile.gif

put egg shells on the soil

It's a candyjar like this one, at Amazon.com, it holds two gallons, and I don't use the lid. If I use the lid, I get mold on the sphagnum moss.

Amazon.com Item

Even with the lid off, it has very high sides, so its still may not be getting enough air circulation down at the bottom unless its near a window with a breeze or something to force the air down to the bottom of the jar.  Or unless you have so much soil in it the plant is near to the top.

High sides like that can act as a wind break.  This is why I opted not to grow VFTs in a enclosed container because it seemed there was always a problem.  You have to be more careful and vigilant about conditions in a deep container like that.  Although they do look nice in there!  
smile.gif

What does eggshell do for VFTs? That will add calcium to the soil.

Back