Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowing vfts in my terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a terrarium with VFTs and some kind of generic moss growing in it. The plants were doing very well when I was keeping them on my desk at work, lit with a flourescent plant lamp. I brought them outside and they are currently living on my porch, and both the VFTs and the moss are beginning to yellow. I'm not sure if it's the change in light, or if it's because of overheating, or what- The terrarium is a 2 gallon candy jar, and I don't use the lid, and the planting medium is a combination of peatmoss, and pearlite. I've had the plants in the terrarium since last fall, without a dormancy, and I've always had distilled water (and recently some rain) for watering the plant. I have noticed that the water level is slightly lower than it used to be, but it's still got standing water below the ground level (clear glass candyjar). Can anyone help me out? I've moved it to a less sunny location (a more shaded area of the porch).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonko, I think it is telling that the moss is also turning yellow. Something is definitely wrong with your setup. If it were me, (although I'm a newbie to VFT's) I would be tempted to transplant them into new medium. As long as the plants have plenty of airflow and water, you shouldn't have problems with sunlight on them, unless maybe you are in a very hot, dry area. I'm thinking that since you don't have drainage on the pot, you are getting a slow accumulation of chemicals.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Scott
    \"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. \"
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you didn't bring them out slowly.

The plants are in shock and have sunburn most likely. I would keep it in the shade out of direct sunlight which the plants need to adjust to if they were grown indoors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already moved them to a less sunny spot. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put them in a less sunny spot, and they have bigger traps than ever! They are doing great! I think I was just giving them too much sun/heat. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    give it dormancy next time it comes around, its vital, not giving it a dormancy is not an option.

other than that, i dunno what to tell you, but if your moss is dieing, something is definately wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I moved it to the less sunny spot, the moss is doing better too. I will certainly do the dormancy bit when the time comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have witnessed the tops of live sphag moss blackening if given too much heat. Live sphag moss does need loads of light, but not too much light so as to give it sunburn. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast