What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best lighting to use in basment growing area.

Hello,
I'm all filled up space wise, but i recently cleared out my basement and would like to set up a large plant room there just one problem there absolutely no natural light of any kind. (no windows) what bulb (brand and technical info please) or combination of bulbs would work. i currently have 4 '48" florescent light fixtures but haven't purchased any bulbs yet as i don't know what combinations id need to duplicate natural sun in a dark location, i also was considering lining the entire room in tin foil for reflection of light, any one have a bulb type/brand that would work for growing in that condition?

-Thanks for reading.

If your using standard shoplights then I would go for 'daylight' bulbs found at homedepot/lowes. Coolwhite would work ok if that's all you can find.. toss in a warmwhite here and there if you use the coolwhite.

Most important is getting enough light. With regular shoplights they need to be very close to the plants to work effectively. I would put two side by side so you have at least 4 tubes over each 4' long growing area.

If you want the lights to be up above then you have to use highintensity lighting such as metalhalide.

Tony

How close are you talking about Tony?

Hi Peter,

I grow all my collection under flourescents. I find the closer the growing point is to the lights, the better. For propagation I keep things within an inch of the tubes (nothing to see or admire yet) For plants I wish to enjoy, 5 to six inches. The more light, the more typical the plant will be, so this is largely a matter of personal taste. Light efficiency falls off significantly the further away the meristems are from the tubes, and a couple of inches makes a great deal of difference in plant compactness and color.

What about Fluorex?

I would put any flourescent light about 2-3 inches from the top of the plant.

Some plants can touch cool flourescents without any harm.

I have a Fluorex in my 10 Gallon Terrarium with the heatsheild removed.  The plants are loving it.  6500K color light and 65watts over 1 square foot area.

About the tinfoil. Try to get Mylar, either sold as a emergency blanket at some stores like Walmart or a camping store. Or you can order some online from ebay or whatnot.

I made note of all the equipment and info in these posts very informative and helpful thanks allot to all.

Steven, your only 7 miles across the water from me.
smile.gif
The LI Sound.

My friend use to work in Stamford.

Cool i do like Stamford its nice here just to bad the c.t. winters are to cold for out door cp growing.

Back