Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a descently cared vft at walmart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just at a local Walmart a few days ago, and I was suprised that they were not near the cash register... so I was shopping for some perlite, sand, ... in their greenhouse when I saw the usuall box full of VFT's, and to my suprise they were looking pretty nice!
    Finally a place were they give the plants alot of light and from the looks of it and looking very nice!
    They were all Dente's having 1" traps but I couldn't rescue them since I already have like six Dente's at home... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the more the marrier [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    also, they prob just arrived from the tc labs, so they would be looking good, but give them some time, and theyll prob be goners for sure...
    sadly, not to many ppl know about the requirments of CPs, and VFTs being the most popular, its a shame to see them wither away...
    but then again, they are mass produced, thousands are pumped out a month, its crazy.
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi peter,

I'd say Hellz comments are probably pretty much on target. Give the Walmart employees some time and the VFTs will reflect the value of their efforts. I've seen Walmart VFTs and cacti follow the same path to doom.

But here's some thoughts for ya:

You may have +/- 6 dentate now, but a few more would make good experimenters. I don't know what You've done/tried/accomplished in the cutting/propagation arena--but they could start out as cutting experiments.

and/or

they could be the test plants for this winter's dormancy experiment(s).

If you want to test the value of rainwater vs. distilled vs. your local tap vs. whatever--you have some VFTs to play with.

Next spring I may take some of my older typical cuttings and do group experiments with very diluted liquid fertilizer. I like my VFTs, but I have enough typicals to experiment around with and check somethings out. I will probably plant some in that Growcoir I bought, just to see what I think about it.

A few extra/expendable VFTs might come in handy for you to have around.

Hate to hear about you losing those larger older VFTs with the big rhizomes and traps. I have some that I picked up at Lowes--and they are sweet! I would hate to lose them. If You remember where You got them--it might be worth trying to get more from the same source. I have typicals coming out the gazoo, but have been tempted to "Buy a few more"---because I know the rhizomes are BIG....and so are the TRAPS! If You have a Lowe's in your area--check out their large VFTs. You've been around this long enough that you should be able to pick out some nice plants! They are the $8-10 larger version.

Anyway, too many Dentate---NEVER! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me, I have WAY too many plants at home already! Anyways, the big VFT's that I buy the from are because of a few good connections that I have and can get them for extremly low prices (To be exact about a little less then 2.00 each including shipping). 9.00 on a plant I feel is a little over priced, where you can get a good cultivar these days for less. The most I would pay for a Dente, Typical, Green/Red dragon is 2.00.
    Now, regarding about the plants at Walmart- I just went back there today,and to my suprise alot of them were gone, but the ones left were still in pretty good shape. I know the whole story about Stores taking horrible care of their Cps, but it looks like this Walmart finally had the brains to do research and actually do the first step which was to put them in a area that get lots of light, unlike the few shoplights from like 50 feet away like other stores.

Naja02, As of right now my growing space is very limited that is why I gave away alot of my seedlings and all my Utics so that I can make more room for them. Just to count right now, I probably have around 150+ plants including seedlings in my pocession right now! I will try to get some pictures of my plants, I can't wait to get pics of my D. "Giant" which is sporting traps at around 1.5 inches!

Growing List-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to experiment, you can't beat the .79 cent plants offered by PFT. They are really plants, not bulbs, at least most of them are! I couldn't believe it when I saw them. They aren't dinky little things either.
    Valerie ordered 50 of them, so I will be trying alll sorts of experiments I think. I am going to grow some as strict aquatics.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin,

I ordered some when they were .99 cents, and those are at least some of the ones that I will use for experiments next year.

Strictly aquatic? Does that mean completely underwater--leaves, traps and all, or are you talking hydroponics (sp?)?

Hi peter,

$2.00 including shipping for 10+ yr old bulbs? That's a good price and even though I don't know all the details of where your source gets their supply--it sounds like a field collected supply, ie. illiegal. Maybe not though.

There's one vendor online I'm aware of that sells them for just above $3.00 for 10+ yr olds and that person has been accussed many times of trying to aquire illegally collected VFTs through others. I half suspect the ones I bought at lowes were originally illegally collected, but I didn't know much of anything about any of this cp stuff at the time, and have no evidence either way.

I'd like to know where to get good cultivars with 10+yr old rhizomes in the $9 range. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] lol

Hopefully, for the plants sake, your observations are accurate. I've seen places that have progressed far enough to provide water trays, but the end result is usually the same. But to show the hardiness of these plants---they are STILL alive (many of them anyway) at the end of the season. Worn and battered, but often times still surviving.

Either way, walmart as a whole will kill at least a few thousand again this yr. At least the plants are out there to stir up interest and some of the folks will find places like this for good starter info. And we may have a few more members by the end of the season! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

CYa!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey peter, Where is the walmart? I'm close to your location so I should be able to find it and get some new VFTs [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] , You still live in MI right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am close to 100% sure that my vendor doesn't collect wild plants. If he does, then I don't think that he would be able to sell 10,000 plants at a time to wholesale dealers (He made a deal with me, 2,000 6 year old sized plants for .40! each)... This guy mainly sells whole sale in the thousands, but since I know him pretty well he gives me some discounts when sales are a little low. They are propogated through tissue culture, and before that leaf cuttings according to him. I wouldn't buy a wild collected plant for a penny no matter how big it is.
    Oh, I didn't mean a good 10 year old bulb for a rarer cultivar... boy a plant like that would cost over $20!

Growing List-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast