What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fly trap not closeing

hi

my venus fly trap is not closeing, even wen there is a fly on it!
i was just wondering what can i do to change this.

Are you putting the fly in there? The traps have to have motion to make them close, so if you are just dropping a dead insect on there, you might have to move it around a bit w/ tweezers or something similar to get it to close.

ok i will do that.

thanks
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif

it didnt work! anyother ideas? please help. cccould they be dieng?
smile_h_32.gif

Have you tried more than one trap? Sometimes older traps aren't very responsive. I've had traps not close before. I don't think it's dying unless the whole thing's turning black or something. Is there any new growth? Also, is the plant new? It might be experiencing stress from being in a new environment. Check out this post for more about the stress.

the plants new and there is new groth. and your stress link didnt work.

thanks Clint

Oops, sorry about the broken link there. Fixed it.
If there's new growth then I wouldn't worry about it.
smile.gif

Hi FloridaDendro,

If the plant is new to you then just give it some time. The trap that you are trying may just be old and getting ready to die off. Maybe the plant is in shock to one degree or another--and will come around shortly.

What elarwhis said is true. There are trigger hairs inside the trap that have to be triggered in order to get the trap to close, then triggered a second time for the trap to seal and release the digestive juices. Its just a natural setup that keeps the plant from wasting energy when it was triggered by rain or something other than food.

New growth is a good sign, so just give it some time.:;):

Back