What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive growth

I don't know whether I should be happy about this... the innocent VFT I bought a few months ago has gone crazy. It's more than doubled the number of flytraps it had when I bought it, every day I see a new baby trap, there are so many that they are growing inside each other. Some of the new ones are huge (in comparison to when I bought it), i.e. twice the size. In total I count roughly 27 traps, compared to the 10 it had when I bought it. What should I do? Have I got more than one plant growing here? Should I try and separate the traps a bit, or let nature take it's course? I'm just worried because there are baby traps inside the older traps.

I have some older VFT with 2 to 3 growing points off the plant, and it dosen't seem to have a negative affect. I plan to let the traps fill the pot so I haven't messed with them. It sounds like you have more than one plant there. Usually the easiest way to tell is to find seperate points where new leaves are comming up. Also I wouldn't seaperate them until after it's next dormancy.

I have heard of that happening to Venus Flytraps straight out of tissue culture. Or based on some people hypothysis this happens because the plants are packed together too much and baisically create leaf cutting, making new plants creating a bushy look.
I would just leave the plant there to grow, but if it gets to be a big mess you could maybe carefully small out the baby plants and repot them.
That is currently happening to me for some reason. It is not a fresh out of tissue culture plant either. I have had it for two years now and it is clumping like crazy, I will try to get a picture of it sometime.
I divided it in spring and it just started clumping like crazy this season.

Thanks guys. Since I posted that my VFT is still at it, it's grown even more mini traps clumping together here there and everywhere, I'll try and get some pictures up sometime.

Back