What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft with reptiles

I have a 46 gallon terarium set up with green tree frogs. It has 130watts of lights on it and the humidity is kept around 70%. Two simple questions: How would my VFT grow under these conditions, and would the frogs harm the plant or visa-versa? The frogs are signifcantly larger than the traps.

Here's my current setup: Ribbet

Thank you
-Crash

i would watch about the frogs being eatin because i was going to try it with my frogs but i decided not to. theres many pictures online of frogs bein eaten. i think that the frog would hop away though.

My frogs are MUCH larger than the traps and I don't think that I have to worry about them becoming trapped.

I have searched and searched for pictures of the fly traps eating frogs with no luck, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
-Crash

Charles Brewer feeds occasional frogs to his flytraps, but we are talking tiny frogs to 2 inch traps.
I think your frogs will definitely be fine, and they may set off an occasional trap, but I think this will probably work.

Cheers,

Joe

Ew! Feeding frogs to there plants! Now who would want to do such a terrible terrible thing like that? Especally since the amphibian population has been and is still decreasing dramatically over the past few years. Just stick with bugs....

There are too many frogs in my yard... it creeps me out when I have to mow the lawn and they get you know....

not enough light. you'll run into problems when the plant goes dormant if you dont take it out, too.

It's compact fluorscent lighting, which is a lot more intense than incandescent and regular fluorscent. Here's the fixture: light

This is the kind of light used to grow live corals in salt water tanks, which need a lot higher light requirements than terristrial plants.

But I'm just clarifying what kind of light is on the tank, so if it's still not enough lighting please let me know
smile.gif

Thanks
-Crash

i know all about those reef lights, i use 4 vho lights
smile.gif

i still dont think one pc light is enough unless you put the vft within a couple of inches directly under it.

Hi Crash,

I thought of the lighting earlier too when I looked at the pic. You would need to put the VFT in the open for light---and even if the light was enough---they would still eventually get trampled by the frogs.

With that thought in mind, my best advice is this: Try it out. Typical VFTs are a dime a dozen and very easy to come by, so put some in there---and see what happens.:p

HTH

Think twice before adding VFT's to your frog terra!

dionaea.gif

>;-D

Back