What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding my vfts

Hey, newb here. I just bought my plants from PFT.com, I planted em in my terrarium, let them rest a day and now i've fed them.

Since I live in an apt. I have to hand feed em the grasshoppers PFT.com sells. When I put them in a few of the traps, the traps closed too quickly, and I could only get half the bug in there. Is that okay?

Heh don’t feed prey bigger then 30% of the trap size. Bacterial growth could kill the trap/plant.

Like Phyrex said, you dont want to feed your VFT bugs that are too big, but if the trap closed on half the bug because the bug was moving to much, here is a cool remedy...

Put the bug in the freezer for ten minutes, then when you take it out, it will be in a short dormancy. Just drop the bug into the trap and in a few moments it will wake up (for a short while that is until the trap goes "slap") lol *dont ya just love the sickness of mind that comes with raising these things?? bwahahaha*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nature_boi @ July 14 2004,8:28)]Put the bug in the freezer for ten minutes, then when you take it out, it will be in a short dormancy. Just drop the bug into the trap and in a few moments it will wake up (for a short while that is until the trap goes "slap") lol *dont ya just love the sickness of mind that comes with raising these things?? bwahahaha*
I do that all the time with my flies and it works really really good, and sadistic too!

They wake up and go "Huh? Ow! Hey! Hello, anyone? It's a little cramped in here..Ow! Cut that out! H-hello?"

Hey Jon H! Do you spell your name the same as me? Is it Jonathan?

Yes yes I do. everyone always wants to spell it Jonathon, grrr.

Oh and thanks for the info everyone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jon H @ July 14 2004,3:04)]Yes yes I do. everyone always wants to spell it Jonathon, grrr.
YA!!! I spell my name Jonathan as well! Most people want to spell it Johnathon...it annoys the poop out of me too. You the second person I've evr met that spells it the same aas me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Put the bug in the freezer for ten minutes, then when you take it out, it will be in a short dormancy.

Ten minutes?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Mine was still after 1, even then I thought it had frozen!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ten minutes? Mine was still after 1, even then I thought it had frozen!
lol yah...I put a fly in there one day for 5 minutes, and it was still kinda moving (just veeeerrrryyyy sloooowwwwlyyyy)....so I just put em all in for 10..

Back