What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Own your own vft bog!

It can't be wall to wall CPs, right? Maybe there are big sections of it that don't have any CPs which could be put back on the market. If it's in danger of being subdivided, at least it could be done by people who have the interests of the plants in mind.

Hey Yall,
I have had my hands full with the Crestview distribution. I didn't mean to feed the fire on this discussion but instead provide info that the Hosford site was for sale.

A little bit more info may help. Not all of the 500 acs have CPs actually I think it is only one low spot. As I said it was pouring rain and did I mention the dangerous LIGHTENING so I did not explore the whole site? This was my first visit to this site so I do not know how extensive the bog portion is or what exactly CPs are found there. My guess is it is a small piece of the 500 acs. I do know there are leucos there. Some back ground on the theroy of how the VFTs got there range from the feet of birds to a person planting them in the early 70s. Since there has never been another known sizable discovery of VFTs outside of SC and NC other than this site, it is doubtful they were spread on the feet of birds. A person probably planted them. This is NOT believed to be a native stand of VFTs but an INTRODUCED stand that has prospered. You could reproduce this same effect on any suitable site. I don't think it warrents calling in the calvery just yet. I think more research needs to be done into the history of the site.

The site is supposedly along the migration path for a few bird species, so them being there naturally is possible.
I have a leucophylla from Hosford and very nice it is too so I wouldn't want to anything to happen to the site.
How can building be allowed on land with CITES species growing? Seems like a half assed law.

very true, they are protected by law from being retrieved from the wild, but not protected against being bought in the wild? doesn't sound right, but i guess put a price on anything and everything else just doesn't matter...
confused.gif

Don't quote me on this, but the laws governing the VFT's are for their native range. Since Florida is not their native range, I guess they turn their collective governmental heads at the prospect of collecting from a naturalized site. I have written Andy Lanier in Florida, and also read in a book from the late 40's that these plants were there, and introduced. I was 11 at the time ('61) and suprised that VFT's were anywhere but where I had learned they would be. Andy read the same book, and found these plants in the mid '50's. I am with Andy and some others that feel the plants were introduced and not brought in on the feet of birds. Schnell is an excellent grower, but he, like me, doesn't know everything, and we leave room for speculation.

If they are nonnative...do you suppose there presence would be detrimental to other Cps?

BTW, does anyone know the story behind the picture in Galleria Carnivora that says something like "California VFT"?

I also don't think the site will do well if, say, all is used to build houses except the CP section. There would be runnof, bird and pet droppings, curious kids(poachers) etc. etc. etc.

Back