User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! vft leaves turning inwards!

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi everyone,

i just got some VFTs from triffid park
    variety is 'pink venus' but i got green ones! Donna from triffid park sent me the ones that were being overcrowded, and didn't recieve sunlight

i put them about 3 inches away from shoplights and this happened:

what's the problem?
    thanks
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm......not sure exactly.....I'm guessing the environment probably changed quite a bit from where you got them to where they are now. Is the humidity alot different? I just bought two new venus fly traps from Lowes. They had those little covers on them, and when I got home and took the cover off, they drooped like that right away. The tips of the traps of one of the plants turned brown, and they are still like that now. They just need a little bit of climate acclimation. With the suggestions of others, I took an open ziplock bag, and put it over plant. I took this off for an hour one day, two the next, and so on until they seemed to be adjusted. But be careful not to bake the plant in there. Don't let it sit in direct sunlight in there. Also, it looks like you have new growth, that is always a good sign.

So......maybe if they are not used to receiving light, and when they all of a sudden received alot of it, they suffered a little shock.

That would be my guess. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Hope that helps! Good luck!

- Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure about the humidity part, the VFTs were grown in a huge greenhouse, ill put a cover on one of them to see if it helps, it looks to me that they are 'turning away' from the light, should i lower the light levels?

thanks
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, two things.

First: they were used to having their underground stem (mistakenly termed "bulb") held tightly by the media, and deeper than they are now. Their previous environment inspired them to produce decumbent leaves and these are most usually reflexed against the soil/media. Presently they are not deep enough, nor are they being held at the proper depth by their current media which appears to be loose, and dead long fibered Sphagnum (LFS). ##This is normal, the media will eventually settle and they will grow to be at the depth they prefer in your conditions.##

Second: old leaves do not usually make any major changes to adjust to a new environment (the old dog, new tricks cliche). You will need to wait until the new leaves have grown, they will show how they appreciate their new environment, and from what I see in your nice photo, you should not have to wait very long. ##They appear to be coloring up nicely and starting new leaves. Good job.##
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they're colourin' up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Pingman! that really helped, can't wait for those new traps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok guys i have another problem:

right now i have most of my VFTs in a container, no holes at the bottom means no tray of water. How should i water them? is there an indication to see if there's enough water in the container?

thanks!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would poke holes in them and create your own open tray set up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast