What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea seed sowing

how should i sow my dionaea seeds? everyone and everywhere i go they tell me something different. some people say "you need to do a cold stratification" others say "no you don't". i read somewhere you could use GA to help germination and eliminate cold stratification but others told me it isn't necessary. reeeally confused. i'd like some information from someone that has real life experience sowing them.
confused.gif

thanks everyone
smile.gif

with all the confusion, I'd say heck care and sprinkle them over some LFS.
smile.gif

Ok, so here is how I sow my seeds. There is NO NEED to give them a cold stratification. How I know of this is because first off I've tried both methods and got the same results either way except the non-stratification one germinated a little faster. No special chemicals are needed either as these guys are very easy to germinate.

how old were the seeds; how long did they take to germinate?

Most seeds under 1.5 years old will "hatch" fairly quickly. Just place them ontop of some LFS.

Long Fibered Sphagnum moss - planting medium good for VFT seeds.

Anyway, I just took all the seeds that grew this year and placed them on top of a mix of peat moss and perlite, kept the soil constantly moist, and they are just now starting to pop up (about 3-4 weeks).

Works for me
biggrin.gif

Depending on how old the seeds are, I have had some sprout after a few months to a week or two.

What about dormancy? should i make them go dormant this winter? if their germination takes 4 weeks it will be 4 weeks until winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snugulz @ July 22 2004,2:45)]Anyway, I just took all the seeds that grew this year and placed them on top of a mix of peat moss and perlite, kept the soil constantly moist, and they are just now starting to pop up (about 3-4 weeks).

Works for me
biggrin.gif
post a pic. when they start sprounting, everyone likes seedling pics
As for the VFT Seeds listen to peter, he knows his stuff (as with the other tf members also) I would just sew away and hope for the best

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ July 22 2004,3:42)]what about my dormancy question?
What about it?

lol, j/k. They don't HAVE to have dormancy, actually i suggest against it in this case becuse you may end up killing the seedlings b/c they are just being hatched. I say skip the dormancy this year, but do one NEXT year.

From what I understand, you're only supposed to do a dormancy session after they've matured a year. I would suppose that dormancy for sprouts would damage, or maybe even kill them. I could be wrong though, as I'm just judging that based on experience I've had with other non-CP plants that sprouted way too late, and ended up croaking once the cold came.

Back