What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fried vft seeds!

i placed about 50 dionaea seeds on some peat:perlite mix (50:50) and put it in a plastic bag with some water at the bottom, and put a thermometer inside. i put it outside in the sun and about 6 hours later the temp was over 115 (the thermometer doesn't go any higher!). the white perlite thats on the top of the medium turned slightly brown at the top! the seeds where there for the whole 6 hours, burning.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
are the seeds gonna be ok? i brought the inside and put them under a light bulb, pretty bright and the temperature is about 90 degrees. Anyone had something like this happen or know if my seeds will be fine?
smile_h_32.gif

Gonna take a guess here and say they are probably cooked
smile_h_32.gif

I wouldn't get rid of them though because they might just surprise you.

i feel like a murderer
smile_h_32.gif
.. if 80% or more germinate it would serve as a good experiment

If none germinate it would also serve as a good experiment.
smile.gif

Seeds can be amazing little things. I don't know if it will happen with your VFT seeds, but I've planted a few seeds to things that aren't native to Las Vegas' super hot summer environment, and even after being baked in the dirt day after day, they still managed to grow.

that makes me feel better, i'll let you guys know how many germinate.

Well mine have been flooded, dehydrated, buried, overcrowded, algaeficated and newbieficated many a time, and surprisingly they still manage to germinate. Determined little fellas...
biggrin.gif

at least you didn't go out and buy like 400 and then accidentally burn them
smile_n_32.gif
that would've been horrible

Back