Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing vfts as semi-aquatics

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my VFTs are in undrained bins and when we get a lot of rain, the bins fill up, the plants go under water and there they stay til the water evaporates down again. They do fine like that. So that should debunk the myth that "VFTs rot if kept too wet."
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next experiment is to cross a Dionaea with an Aldrovanda! Both are closely related. see
    Kenneth M. Cameron, Kenneth J. Wurdack, and Richard W. Jobson. 2002. Molecular evidence for the common origin of snap-traps among carnivorous plants. American Journal of Botany 89(9): 1503-1509.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks kinda like a floating bog
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The traps and everything are grown underwater?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones I have outside in full sun(8 hours),in trays with drainage holes,some in sand/peat some in perlite/peat and they still rot if kept to wet.It does'nt matter if it's a common,red dragon,greendragon,they still rot. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Jerry

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ July 26 2004,2:12)]Some of my VFTs are in undrained bins and when we get a lot of rain, the bins fill up, the plants go under water and there they stay til the water evaporates down again. They do fine like that. So that should debunk the myth that "VFTs rot if kept too wet."
    That's what I have been doing. However, I have learned the hard way that when it comes to seedlings, never put multiple containers in a tray taller than the seedling containers, with opuy adequate drainage at a significantly lower level. Why, well I had 5 pots of differing pigmy dews in on e larger container. A torrential rain came and three of the pots overturned - instant pigmy dew sirprise. It also happened to my non- pigmy dew Drosera seedling. The pots didn't overturn, but the non-rooted seedlings floated and migrated. More Sundew surprise. My growlist is much smaller now.

I'm doing things differently, now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob,

I have had the same thought in mind. I was going to try to foist the experiment off onto Phil Sheriden since he had a pond full of Aldrovanda that I assume flower for him, and a ton and a half of VFT's. I really feel Dionaea is not too far away from the Aldrovanda relationship in terms of its paraaquatic nature. Many growers have reported that their plants rot under too wet conditions, but I have never lost a strong plant this way UNLESS the rhizome was stressed from a period of being dry. I am going to grow some as true aquatics next season: underwater for the whole season and see where that goes.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard for me to tell, but is the whole plant completely underwater as in the trap and everything?
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast