What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing vfts as semi-aquatics

To answer the question are they completely submerged.

Not continuously, then I would have to call it "Growing VFT aquatically", as it is they are just "Semi-aquatic" defined as the water table is generally kept at the soil surface -- most times I water, I water enough to submerge even the leaves, but this usually dries off in less than a week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ July 27 2004,1:02)]Well keeping the plants underwater over winter would be a good buffer against the cold as at minimum the plants would be no colder than 32*F unless all the water either froze or you had salt or some other mineral dissolved into the water to lower the freezing point. My VFTs spent a month submerged underwater while I was away at college and we had torrential down pours while my plants were outside and they seemed no worse for the wear. I wonder if VFT's that have been submerged in their natural habitats have ever caught fish?
Due to the fact that VFT's need pretty much distilled water, not likely. I know that on the East Coast of the US a few species of sunfish(Enneacanthus. gloriosus, E. obesus, E. chaetodon) sometimes live in blackwater streams with PH of less than 4, I doubt they occur alongside of Cps...or VFT's.

Back