Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Growing vfts as semi-aquatics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submerged my plant for 3 days in Early march to get rid of mites. Worked just fine.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps water temperature has an effect. Warm water in the sun is probably fine, but wouldn't cold water cause problems? I know that the peat of my VFTs becomes very warm during the growing season in the sun.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants all spent the winter in the unheated basement, usually totally submerged. The temps were just above freezing and occasionally below.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well keeping the plants underwater over winter would be a good buffer against the cold as at minimum the plants would be no colder than 32*F unless all the water either froze or you had salt or some other mineral dissolved into the water to lower the freezing point. My VFTs spent a month submerged underwater while I was away at college and we had torrential down pours while my plants were outside and they seemed no worse for the wear. I wonder if VFT's that have been submerged in their natural habitats have ever caught fish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer the question are they completely submerged.

Not continuously, then I would have to call it "Growing VFT aquatically", as it is they are just "Semi-aquatic" defined as the water table is generally kept at the soil surface -- most times I water, I water enough to submerge even the leaves, but this usually dries off in less than a week.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ July 27 2004,1:02)]Well keeping the plants underwater over winter would be a good buffer against the cold as at minimum the plants would be no colder than 32*F unless all the water either froze or you had salt or some other mineral dissolved into the water to lower the freezing point. My VFTs spent a month submerged underwater while I was away at college and we had torrential down pours while my plants were outside and they seemed no worse for the wear. I wonder if VFT's that have been submerged in their natural habitats have ever caught fish?
    Due to the fact that VFT's need pretty much distilled water, not likely. I know that on the East Coast of the US a few species of sunfish(Enneacanthus. gloriosus, E. obesus, E. chaetodon) sometimes live in blackwater streams with PH of less than 4, I doubt they occur alongside of Cps...or VFT's.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123