Thread: Growing vfts as semi-aquatics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs planted in undrained tray and kept under water (Dec03/Jan04):

The same tray Jul04 ready for dormant rest in refrigerator:

-------------
    Once I was transplanting several dozens of VFTs and I decided to put the trimmings and broken pieces into this tray and see if they would sprout and then to grow them as semi-aquatics. It has been more than 4 years now and they continue to thrive. I have only once cleaned out the tray, removing about 30 plants and refreshing the 100% peat moss media with new peat moss. The Sphagnum and other moss are strictly volunteers.

The earlier photo shows the plants in vigorous growth after recently being removed from their dormancy in the refrigerator where their tray was completely filled with water covering them and then the lid was snapped on.

The later, more recent photo shows them to be slowing down and I shall shortly return them to the refrigerator for another dormant period.

I grow many other VFTs in more normal ways, but I just wanted to prove to myself that they were even more flexible and durable than we generally give them credit for.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great experiment... I value people's opinions 10 times more when they've actually experienced why something should or shouldn't be done rather than simply parroting back to me something they've read. Good post.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREAT experiment! Those VFTs sure look happy under your care! How did they get that purple? Under fluorescent lights?

have you tried this method for other species of cps?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I decided to put the trimmings and broken pieces into this tray
    trimmings? as in black/dieing leaves? They can be grown from just the white bulb part right?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They color up nicely with 15 hours per day of cheapo cool white fluorescent lamps kept within about 4 inches of their tray.

Trimmings used were some old basal leaf segments and several back ends of rhizomes consisting of 3-4 basal leaf segments attached together and broken off the distal end of rhizomes.

I did drop a couple of old entire leaves in but they just rotted away without producing new plants.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh right, next time when a VFT leaf is about to die, ill pluck out the bulb and throw it into 100% mix [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]They color up nicely with 15 hours per day of cheapo cool white fluorescent lamps kept within about 4 inches of their tray.
    Thats weird, Im comparing my set-up to yours, they seem the same but your plants seem to grow MUCH MUCH healthier than mine. For more info about my set-up, go there:

http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=13500

Do you provide them with alot of humidity?

thanks for all your help!
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't worried much about the humidity since they are nearly always flooded with water.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Joe,
    Guess I don't have to worry about drilling drainage holes in my window box! Mine have been growing like that after rainstorms. I just let evaporation dry them out. They don't seem to mind the swamp when it sets in.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wezx, your plants are in shock from being bare root for so long... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast