Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunlight to fluorescent shop lights

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pingman- you could get an electric VHO ballast and run NO tubes on it, that's what i do. they last half as long bust run at almost 3x the power.

i would use vho tubes, but i can't find the pin-types anywhere. (the type with 2 pins on each end that look identical to a no tube) i've thought of using VHO tubes used for marine aquariums, but i'm not sure if it would work better and i don't want to shell out 30 bucks per tube to experiment.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the helpful replies,

PingMan your electrical bills must be HIGH!

Too bad i don't got natural sunlight [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

this is me setup:

2 - double tube iron ballast setup with good reflectors on a 3ft x 12 inches shelf

The plants are close to the lights

do they need some kind of adjusting to fluorescent or something?

I might be able to fit 1 more bulb there if i remove the reflectors

thx!
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't remove the reflectors, that would be inneficiant (sp) and would decrease your light, so by adding more light, your taking away light.

while your add it, cover all 4 sides of your terrarium with mylar/alluminum foil.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've covered the sides with cheap shiny kitchen waterproof mats

JLAP where do you get your VHO ballasts? im thinking of rewiring my normal ones

thx
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got it from marinedepot.com
    i got it for around 170 dollars, but i got a reflector, all the wiring , the waterproof endcaps, with it. all i had to do was attatch it to the lid on my canopy and turn it on.

my only regret is not buying PC lights for my reef, because they don't make VHO lights for plants. however, i do run Normal Putput tubes on the VHO ballast. the last half as long, run warmer, but they put out 3x the power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone know about electronic ballasts? i know that they are lighter and not as hot as the iron ones. Do they increase the amount of light the bulb gives off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wexz: Nice collection! do you have anymore photos of the VFTs that you got from Melbourne? It will be great if you can post them up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vistary: ill get some pics up soon on a separate board... I have about 6 new varieties including a strange 'long red fingers' which looks alot like cup trap, maybe we can exchange cuttings when my plants get healthier?

now im just trying to find out why the plants are growing worse in my brighter and neater set-up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast