User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunlight to fluorescent shop lights

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi CPers,

My new Vfts (and drosera/sarr/pings) which were recently grown in sunlight are producing smaller and green traps. They are grown under racks, 3 inches away from fluorescent shoplights.

Can anyone identify my problem? Anyone had experience with this?

i posted the topic in this forum because im more concerned about my VFTs.

thanks in advanced!
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT will normally produce larger traps if given direct sunlight. Smaller traps are produced probably due to lack of light
    or
    as in indication of dormancy- slow down in growth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes a lot of flourescent light to approach the results direct sunlight gives. How many tubes are you using? Are they new bulbs? How close are they to the plant growing points? How long are you running them? All these factor into how well the plants will grow under lights.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use six or eight 4 foot fluorescent tubes, 3 or 4 --- 2 lamp fixtures per shelf. I have to crowd the lights very tightly to fit that many on one shelf.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blimin' %#$^&*!!! That's a huge setup. Joe, do you use electric or iron ballasts? The energy loss of iron ballasts compared to electrical is due to the heat the iron one gives of, righto?

Hmmm, so it might be better for huge setups...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He he, huge . . . there are ten shelves just like this one. A few with even more lamps.

These are a mixed lot. Some of the fixtures are quite vintage and have the old heavy iron ballast, but most have the smaller "electric" ballast, none are so old as to need separate starter capacitors though.

I would like to convert to VHO fixtures and lamps to see if they might perform even better, though I have few complaints as it is now.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOH!!!! Big lights!
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is identical to my own set up, and I now run some 40 twin bulb fixtures! Light is the single most important issue facing growers of CP. Even lights like these cannot hope to provide the same lumens as are to be found in natural sunlight. Even with 8 flourescent tubes kept within 5 inches of the plant crowns, some etiolation is inevitable. I have yet to find a light source that will produce a completely typical specimen. They are always larger and looser than are to be found in habitat. Although HID lights do tend to produce more thrifty plants, the color of the plants is never correct (although the same may be said about flourescent grown specimens as well)., and the size seems more compact and smaller than plants found in habitat. The overall ratios are more correct though: shorter petioles and scapes. But to my eye the plants are just smaller overall than plants from habitat. I believe the optimal growing tool is a greenhouse, but the available sun here is only 49% of what could be, so supplemental light is for sure needed here. Even in full sunlight here my plants do not keep the forms they have in habitat, so for me it is always a compromise - the best I can possibly give them is still not enough, a matter of great frustration to me.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast