What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The mound of death- pics

• Thread starter jon
  • Start date
moundoftraps2.jpg

moundoftraps1.jpg

The Mound Of Death! Look at all the open mouths! These are getting sooooooo big right now! Someone told me that this was "Clumping" (not sure on that tho, it looks like typical to me) and the other ones are Dente's. What do you guys think?

I thought clumping was in reference to one plant becoming two, vegetatively.

The description of 'Clumping Cultivar' is so ambiguous that it would include any freely dividing VFT clone. MAking a description that general is fairly useless in my opinion. Your plant looks just like the one I grow by that name. It's origin in my collection is from plants sold by Meadowview Biological Station. It will fill any container you put it in. Mine is currently filling an 8 x 8 pot and is bulging the sides of the pot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 26 2004,8:01)]The description of 'Clumping Cultivar' is so ambiguous that it would include any freely dividing VFT clone.  MAking a description that general is fairly useless in my opinion.  Your plant looks just like the one I grow by that name.  It's origin in my collection is from plants sold by Meadowview Biological Station.  It will fill any container you put it in.  Mine is currently filling an 8 x 8 pot and is bulging the sides of the pot.
It might have been from your collection, I recieved it in the mail from someone on these boards...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 26 2004,8:01)]The description of 'Clumping Cultivar' is so ambiguous that it would include any freely dividing VFT clone.  MAking a description that general is fairly useless in my opinion.  Your plant looks just like the one I grow by that name.  It's origin in my collection is from plants sold by Meadowview Biological Station.  It will fill any container you put it in.  Mine is currently filling an 8 x 8 pot and is bulging the sides of the pot.
SO my dente that is dividing itself right now can be considered clumping?

Over time, all VFT plants start to clump and produce offshoots.  It's a matter of how often it does it that makes it unique.  Maybe your Dente clumped because of a T/C sideeffect or maybe because it got too compact and the plant baisically made a leaf cutting of itself... it is hard to say but most likely no since most of all Dente's come from a single plant.

In order to know what is or is not "clumping"...someone would need to write a description and define what the requirements are to fit this type of plant. Just because a plant forms clumps isn't enough. Most VFTs left alone will produce more plantlets and eventually fill a pot. So what would qualify any plant for the "official" status of Clumping VFT?

I wish all these folks out there selling cultivars would REGISTER THEM so there are descriptions to go by and settle these discussions.
confused.gif

looks very similar to the one that my wife got me from wal mart for father's day. repotted, it is going to be a very large plant(s)

The Clumping Cultivar could be an individual plant that was registered and then never divided or distributed.

The out of date cultivar list needs sorting out big time. In theory there should be official photographs of every cultivar, are these hiding in a cupboard at the ICPS?

Back