Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people don't stratify them... you get around the same germination rates if you don't. In the wild VFT's produce seeds early on in the season so they start to grow before winter hits, unlike many Sarracenia's where their seeds are produced in the fall and germinate next spring, so they need inhibitors.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's odd, I don't remember ever seeing any recommendation anywhere to stratify VFT seed. Where did you see this recommendation?

For speed of germination, a few of the fresh seed I planted this February germinated within 4 days.

Your experiment seems sorta like the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes". Seems kinda difficult to remove something that isn't even there to begin with.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we'll see, i hope your right because stratification isn't really very fun, [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] i want to see what occurs though, maybe i'll be surprised.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well stratification isn't fun, or necessary, but I agree on one point;
    If you don't try it, you dont know.
    easy as that.

I look forward to see the results of this experiment. You never know, something might just come of this.
    Stop being so negative! If I had enough seeds to experiment, I would too.
    All I'm saying is dont throw this away before it's concieved, we have a creative soul here!
    Creativity should be encouraged, not quelched [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

/Quensel
    Spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon and spam, Spam, spam, sausage, spam, egg, bacon and spam, Spam spam, spam, spam, tomato and spam...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ?? What is "quelched"? Do you mean squelched? No quelching, uh, squelching intended. I was simply wondering what the point (hypothesis) was.

And, I was alarmed at dumping expensive and possibly hazardous chemicals on VFT seed, which do not need stratification to germinate if they are fresh, nor do old seed generally germinate at all. Perhaps once the seed is old, gibberellic acid will restore some germination?

Under proper conditions VFT seed is one of the most sure and rapid CP seed to germinate. Might be difficult to measure any difference in germination speed. However . . .
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12