What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Age estimation?

ok i was just curious if anyone could estimate the age of one vft i picked up its been putting up traps that are about 1 1/4" and its putting up alot and looks pretty big so i was just wondering maybe how old it would be

1 and a quarter inch traps? sounds like its well into maturity

yeah i kinda figured that, so would that mean it falls into like the 5-7 years old category?

It is actually pretty hard to tell exactly, but to really get a pretty good estimation most people judge on how big the rhibozome is.

2 days...those hatchlings grow so fast...

I really could be any age. Does it really matter?
VFTs that are 10 will probably look exactly like tthe VFts that are 5.
They live up to 20 years or so.
Dino

The only real difference is their bulb size... other then that you might get traps that are a tad bit bigger and have more flowering abilities (more energy to produce more seeds)

Unless you start with seed and keep careful records, or obtain plants from someone who does, you may never be able to tell for sure.

Depending on the growing conditions after the seed germinates, a 40 year old plant (VFT's may live much longer than 40 years) may be no larger than a 2 week old seedling. I have several groups of seedlings that are more than 5 years old and they are virtually the same size as they were when they were 4-6 weeks old. I use them like a VFT plant bank. Whenever I wish to grow a few more VFT plants to a larger size, I simply transplant some of these inhibited plants into a more suitable environment and they promptly begin to grow larger.

allrighty thanks guys
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Aug. 06 2004,4:50)]I really could be any age. Does it really matter?
Dino
Do VFTs (or any other cp/plant for that matter), die of old age? I though VFts just kept splitting into a whole load of smaller plants?
confused.gif

Jason,
You are correct. VFT's do not have any known terminal age. However, there are other CP that are known annuals and are generally considered to live for about one season. They have one generation per season. For instance: Pinguicula lusitanica and others, though under certain cultural conditions this too may be challenged.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Aug. 06 2004,10:50)]I really could be any age. Does it really matter?
Dino
VFT can live a lot longer then 10 years... actually, I think they may live as long as they have good growing conditions and don't get an infection. Someone here has one that is around 75 years I think.

Hmmm, might be be quite a valuable family treasure to pass down a VFT which has lived for generations and generations? cool...
cool.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot about the annuals, thanks Joseph.

75 years old!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Quite scary to have a plant older than myself! In some cultures they say 'respect your elders', does that mean...?'
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

Back