Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black blob taking over!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago I deliberately kept about 10 VFTs in dormancy through the spring and summer so I could have a terrarium to tinker with during the winter. In late november I found a bunch of small slugs in my basement. Well, my traps were all looking pretty hungry so I promptly fed two traps per plant a juicy slug. I didn't check on them again for a couple of days. Then, one morning before work I noticed a foul odor coming from the shelf where I was keeping the terrarium. All of the slug fed leaves were lying flat on the soil with what looked like viscous drool oozing out of them. The odor was horrible too. I can only surmize that the slugs secreted some kind of protective sludge in response to the digestive juices. I had to change some of the soil since the stinky goo had dribbled out onto the surface. The moral of the story; "slugs are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna git".
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago I deliberately kept about 10 VFTs in dormancy through the spring and summer so I could have a terrarium to tinker with during the winter. In late november I found a bunch of small slugs in my basement. Well, my traps were all looking pretty hungry so I promptly fed two traps per plant a juicy slug. I didn't check on them again for a couple of days. Then, one morning before work I noticed a foul odor coming from the shelf where I was keeping the terrarium. All of the slug fed leaves were lying flat on the soil with what looked like viscous drool oozing out of them. The odor was horrible too. I can only surmize that the slugs secreted some kind of protective sludge in response to the digestive juices. I had to change some of the soil since the stinky goo had dribbled out onto the surface. The moral of the story; "slugs are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna git".
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol nice analogy dude! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hum, sounds like what's happening here. Guess slimy kinds of bugs are a no no. So what happened to those traps afterwards?

Darcie : the trap *was* sealed real tight when it "got" the woodlouse, only the tip curled outward after a while and now I can peek inside if I look really carefully.
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sszvein,
    All of the slug fed traps died a gruesome death and had to be promptly removed. The plants themsleves were OK. However, I believe that had I waited longer the ooze would have contaminated the soil and possibly damaged the rhizomes. (This started the "Just so no to slugs" campaign at our house) I've also noticed that a larger carpenter ant will burn a hole through the side of a trap when the formic acid sack in it's abdomen begins to digest.
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is very true, slugs do secreat large quantities of mucus as a defence mechanism. They also house a lot of ickies and give most CPs issues. And some species of ants will also burn traps, now you just need to try moths and you'll have experience moths and earth worms and you'll have tried the most famious live things not to feed your flytraps, lol

If the trap was closed and then curled back it means it fineshed digesting, but the meal was too big and the lobes got glued together :P It happens some times, you can either pop them appart and pull out the goo or just let it slowly defunk and then trim it off.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, that info would have been good notice before hands b4 I fed my flytrap every exsisting bug I could discover in my household. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] Thanks, Darcie. Why not moths though? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If the trap was closed and then curled back it means it fineshed digesting, but the meal was too big and the lobes got glued together
    This is exactly what happened. Exactly. Phew, at least now I know why. But let me add that you'll get kind of a nasty feeling into your tummy when you tease open the digestive-juice-sealed trap, and pull out a half dead, half digested, goo/mucus/slime covered whatever you guys feed to your flytraps, half fungus eaten, zombie fly. Plus it gives of a smell that could melt sweaty socks too. Yummy...

Jason [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_t_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (flytrap59 @ Aug. 09 2004,7:08)] All of the slug fed traps died a gruesome death and had to be promptly removed.
    Noooo! Please don't say it like that! *weep* "Gruesome death he says..." Snif snif, we'll see about that.

Right, so maybe I saw a little big okay, so how do I "pop them appart and pull out the goo" without my trap meeting a "gruesome death" *mumble mumble*?
    And will that trap be able to eat again afterwards?

(btw, just how long does it take to digest something? Couple of days? And when growers recommend one bug per week, they mean per plant, not per trap, right?)
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast