What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus flytrap bloodlines?

I am switching my major to horticultural sciences in college later this year because I believe after years of searching owning my own nursery is the right career for me as growing plants and learning about them is fun and from what I hear for the right individual who is motivated there is a lot of money to be made in the nursery business. Anyway back on topic I was wondering if there were many different clone bloodlines for VFT's in circulation today. One of my goals I want to start working on now is through breeding efforts I want to create a virtually unkillable flytrap. People seem to only breed for color, size or trap designs but I know of no one who breeds for hardiness. It is my goal to create a VFT that can survive winters in areas that are zone 4,5, or 6 however that could prove difficult if most VFT's in circulation have the same genetics. But anyways it was an idea I was throwing around because I figure what better way to start a nursery in 4-6 years then to offer new types of CP's that still offer the same traits we love them for but are a little more tempered to grower error.

Yeah, it can probably be done... heck with the technology today anything can be possible probably! who ever knew someone could make a orange that spits out its seeds so it is seedless... But I think it would take more then just making seeds. You would probably have to change it's DNA and what not...

I`d add the genes of alaskin salmon or halibut(why not they did it with tomatoes) Lol. I think that would probably be the easyest way and well your at it put the genes from some realy fast growing plant to make them grow quicker:p

mitochondrial DNA splicers!
biggrin.gif

I'd add the genes of a rabbit to increase reproductivity. I would also make a VFT that would chase after its prey if I had access to the technology. And finally I would make it anti-pest/fungus/disease (like they did with tomatos - added some kind of scorpion gene to make it pest/insect resistant. Someone who eats too many tomatos is gonna mutate someday, you just watch...

Jason

Ps.Way to go allosaurz! Looking forward to the new nursery...
smile_m_32.gif

Back