Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi fireweed,
    Your VFTs don't appear to have been bothered by the fungi. I had the same appearance on my ping soil this past winter. BTW, it was the same mixture you're using. Dried LFS has a fungicidal property for a period of time but loses it as it ages. What I did was scrape the top layer of soil off a couple of times until I was ready to repot in the spring. I would follow JustLikeAPill's advice and get your plants some more sun. Do you grow your plants indoors? If so, that can also contribute to mold formation on your soil depending on the conditions in your house. If it all possible put them outside if you're not already doing so. The fresh air and direct sun has an amazing effect on VFTs.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JLP and flytrap59, they are growing inside and it is air conditioned. I have been giving it a good amount of light, but not much direct sunlight. The best window in the house is where they are at, but during the really hot time of the summer, we usually pull the shade since it keeps it much cooler in here. But now it's been open and my vft has been getting some direct sunlight.

I thought about putting it outside, but we have such strange weather here sometimes, and also the wind here is pretty darn strong. It got to 40 F here last night too......so generally I keep them inside. Plus I keep them by my computer so I can admire them often! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

I will scrape off the top layer with the mold on there and give it more sun! Thanks!
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it says you live in north dakota, i doubt your plants will get too hot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] it regularly gets into the high 90's here during the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but 40 degrees every night is pretty harsh cold weather for a little VFT. One night every once in a while wouldn't be so bad....but every night? I think you might be better off with some high neps. lol
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm.. i didn't know it got that cold in the summer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually it doesn't get that cold in the summer. But we have some wierd weather here. Last year it snowed in June [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] Generally we have pretty warm summers.....and very cold winters. It will get into the 90s here too...usually......but every once in a while it will surprise everyone. Keeps us on our toes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    firewired, I live in lower Michigan. I know thats not quite as far north as you but it does get pretty cool here at night. I grow my VFTs outside on an open porch until November 1st. The temps regularly drop into the forties at night once mid september rolls around. We hit 49 last night. I really don't think you would have any problems growing outside if you wanted to. VFTs are pretty hardy plants. The key would be having a place where they would receive 4 to 6 hours (preferably 6) of direct sunlight daily. A few years back I even grew a couple outside in a bog garden along with some purps. They were burried under a two foot blanket of snow for a month and came through the winter just fine. That blew my mind!!! One way you can protect your plants from wind is to simply place the pot in an open fish bowl or small 2 gallon fish tank. Just be sure NOT to cover the opening during the daytime when in direct sunlight or your plants will end up as stir-fry. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks flytrap59. I didn't know they were that hardy a plant. That's good to know! Maybe I will give them a little fresh air.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12